Different speeds with IE7 and Firefox.

ivesy 20:51 06 Jun 07

I've just ran Speedtest and found the speed using the IE7 browser was 2050kb/s. Seconds later I used Firefox and the speed was 2572kb/s!

I have just switched from Sky (terrible) to Plusnet (so far so good!) and found the same thing happened when I did the test when I was with Sky. I've ran the tests a few times now and Firefox is always faster.

Can anyone shed any light on why this happens?

birdface 22:04 06 Jun 07

Ok.As I use Firefox I ran the test on there first,With a download speed of 1932 kbps up-load speed 188 kbps then on I/E7 download speed 1971 kbps up-load speed 192 kbps.So to me I/Explorer was quicker.

Stuartli 22:41 06 Jun 07

The figures will change each time you run a test, whichever browser you are using for the tests.

Diversion 22:42 06 Jun 07

I don't like the added feature of the Google toolbar that comes with Firefox, besides IE 7 has the added feature of going back to the same folder when saving URL's. Which I find handy if you go to links on a website that are the same topic that you got the link from, as it saves time looking for the same folder time after time to save the related URL's to. With me having over 1500 URL's you can imagine the time it saves me.

ivesy 17:29 07 Jun 07

Sadly I ran them around a dozen times each and Firefox was consistantly in the range 2500-2600 while IE7 was between 1950-2050. I realise the speeds will always vary but I didn't think by think by this much. I like both browsers as it happens. I just can't understand why the big difference in speeds that's all!

Stuartli 17:35 07 Jun 07

This doesn't seem to have much relevance to the thread's query.

Diversion 17:52 07 Jun 07

Stuartli
My point was that I can't try the difference between Firefox & IE 7 download speeds, because I can't find a version of Firefox that doesn't have the Google toolbar as an added extra. Sorry I should have added that as a part of my previous post, sorry for the confusion.

Stuartli 18:23 07 Jun 07

Do you mean a genuine Google toolbar rather than the Search Engines box top right?

I run Firefox without a Google toolbar - wouldn't have it on my system..:-)

IIRC you could elect not to install the Google toobar.

Stuartli 18:24 07 Jun 07

I don't think having the Google toolbar installed would make any difference to download speeds.

anskyber 18:38 07 Jun 07

Uot of curiosity, have you tried the tests with the IE7 phishing filter off?

Diversion 19:04 07 Jun 07

Stuartli
Thanks for the information; I was unaware that one had the choice of whether or not you installed the Google toolbar or if it installed as a part of Firefox. As you will have gathered by now I don’t like having more than what is necessary on my web browser, I think toolbars take more room than what they’re worth.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…