Different services using profiles??

AcidBurn7uk 13:37 18 Feb 04

Hi all. I was just wondering, is there anyway to start your system using different settings and running different services? I.E. Launching Apache, mySQL etc when I want to do web-work and load as little as possible when I want to free up resources for playing games?

AcidBurn7uk 01:19 19 Feb 04

refresh

powerless 01:20 19 Feb 04

Shove the apps *.exe in:

C:\Documents and Settings\[username]\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

AcidBurn7uk 01:29 19 Feb 04

But then all them services will start up. I want to be able to select what loads when the system starts up. For example, when u boot into safe mode, THE ABSOLUTE ESSENTIALS ONLY are loaded. Now, If I want to play UT2003 I don't need Apache web server and mySQL starting. I can exit the un-needed progs once I've logged on but this takes time! U get my drift.

hugh-265156 02:08 19 Feb 04

yes you can.

you can set up different profiles say,one for gaming,one for web etc work.as many as you wish.

a good guide to services and what the do and which others rely on them click here

for profile set up example click here

AcidBurn7uk 00:10 21 Feb 04

Thanks, I will look at the site over the weekend and let you know how it goes.

AcidBurn7uk 02:07 23 Feb 04

Perfect. This worked perfectly. Although it took some fiddeling around because I had a million differant services listed, but it was just a matter of 'trial and error' I cannot stress enough though that you should BACKUP YOUR DATA, I didn't and I nearly lost some of it :-S

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…