Different programs on User Accounts

Les T 16:15 04 Oct 05

Both my wife and i are set up with our own user acciunts. Problem is how do we install programs on our own accounts, without installing them on the other persons account?
I am using XP.
Thanks in advance.

I tried this but couldn't get it to work! I wanted Quicktime 6 on my daughter's account and 7 on mine (so she could use Barbie and I could use ITunes). However whatever prog. I loaded or unloaded in either user account was also loaded/unloaded in the other user account, so a complete waste of time! I shall watch this thread with bated breath!

Jackcoms 16:33 04 Oct 05

When you install programs the Start Menu short cut usually installs in C:\Documents & Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs.

So that only one of you has access to a particular program from your log-in, move that shortcut to C:\Documents & Settings\Your Name\Start Menu\Programs.

Les T 16:37 04 Oct 05

Makes sense, how do i go about it?

Cheers

Jackcoms 16:48 04 Oct 05

Go to C:\Documents & Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs.

Highlight the program or programs that only you want to have access to.

Then at the top left under File and Folder Tasks click on 'Move this Folder'

In the pop-up menu, navigate to C:\Documents & Settings\Your Name\Start Menu\Programs and then click 'Move'.

Repeat with those programs only your wife wants to use.

Les T 16:59 04 Oct 05

Thanks very much, tried it and it works a treat.
Debe, give it try.

Thanks again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…