//some 3rd party need geo

Different HD problem

Catastrophe 10:15 09 Sep 04

I have moved a large data HD from an old computer and am replacing it with a WD 200 GB drive. OS=95SE. Clearly it has been working with a large slave drive and has a smaller 46103 MB Master.

The new slave registers in setup but only as 8455 MB which, uncoincidentally is one of the GB barriers.

The floppy which came with the HD (data lifeguard) just is not working. 'Install' leaves a plain gray screen and 'diagnostic' just returns to the same menu.

Setup gives:

1y Master HD 46103 MB
2y Slave HD 8455 MB

The HD does not show in Windows.

Fdisk primary/extended DOS partition gives
Verifying drive integrity, 0% complete
and stays on 0% for ever.

Partition Magic gives (on loading):
"Init. failed Error 100
Partition table is bad."

I downloaded Data Lifeguard Version 11 from WD but this
fails to recognise a WD HD.
Neither "setup" nor "information" recognises it.

Would the drive be picked up as 8.4 GB if it were dead?
(or partly dead?).

Any comments gratefully received.
Many thanks.

TomJerry 10:33 09 Sep 04

95 cannot handle large HDD, 8.4Gb is the uplimit.

The motherboard (IDE controller specificlly) may not be able to handle large disk that size.

Catastrophe 11:38 09 Sep 04

Thank you for your comment but the C: HD is already over 40 GB and the drive I am replacing is even larger.

Catastrophe 12:21 09 Sep 04

WD Installation Guide states:

"Microsoft Windows 95/98/98SE has a limitation that incorrectly displays the capacity for drives larger than 64 GB ... "

The answer is to use Data Lifeguard Tools diskette which should "install an overlay for drives larger than 64 GB. An overlay is a program that installs on the boot sector of your hard disk and enables full access of your hard drive's capacity."

Clearly my bios supports larger disks. I just reconnected the one being replaced and it shows as 80 GB (82 348 MB to be precise).

What I cannot understand is how the DLTs are not recognising the HD when setup does (even if wrongly reported).

Catastrophe 12:57 09 Sep 04

ooops! Sorry.

I am trying to replace the 80 GB with a 20 GB
(not 200 GB). Sorry about the typo.

cga 13:12 09 Sep 04

My biggest concern is that Partition Magic is having a problem with this. What version are you using? I assume you are trying touse the bootable version.

Have you checked your bios settings. If not you should go into the BIOS and use AUTO to recognise the disk. Note: Even if it was Auto before you may need to do this to recognise the new disk geometry.

Hope this helps.

Catastrophe 07:50 10 Sep 04

cga

"My biggest concern is that Partition Magic is having a problem with this. What version are you using? I assume you are trying touse the bootable version."

5.0 in Windows. The message is instantaneous.

"Have you checked your bios settings. If not you should go into the BIOS and use AUTO to recognise the disk. Note: Even if it was Auto before you may need to do this to recognise the new disk geometry."

Yes. Remember it previously (now, actually) recognises an 80 GB HD.

cga 07:58 10 Sep 04

OK - if I remember correctly you now have a 20Gb hard disk and the BIOS is saying 80Gb (the size of your previous disk). If my understanding is correct then this is your problem.

I don't know which BIOS you have but they all have the facility to update the disk details.

Update the details of the incorrectly recognised disk.

First change it to NONE - no disk present - and save that.

Next change it again to auto and save that. This time is should recognise the correctly sized disk.

Catastrophe 09:20 10 Sep 04

No. I have a C: 40 GB and D: 80 GB.
I am moving the 80 GB to a newer comp and substituting it with a 20 GB.

The present 40/80 works perfectly.
When I try to replace the 80 GB D: with the 20 GB D: it is recognised only as 8.4 GB.

Some BIOS hav an 8.4 GB limitation but clearly not mine. It was originally supplied with a 16.8 GB HD.

The WD Installationn Guide says to use the Data Lifeguard Install software but their diskette (version 10) did not recognise their 20 GB HD.
I downloaded version 11 from support.wdc.com but that didn't recognise the HD either. Clicking 'install' just gave a plain grey screen and clicking 'diagnostics' just returned to the same menu.

What I am unsure about is, if it was DOA, would I get the 8.4 GB barrier or just nothing. I would have thought nothing.

Thanks for your input. Will look at your further suggestion now.

cga 09:26 10 Sep 04

That is fine but when you remove the 80Gb hard drive and put the 20Gb disk in its place you need to reset the BIOS recognition of the drive.

If the 20Gb drive is currently out of the system you may see the specific BIOS parameters you need written on the top. If not then use AUTO.

cga 09:32 10 Sep 04

You need to reset the bios recognition before trying Data Lifegaurd.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…