Different de-fragging advice needed

Shorty123 17:12 13 Oct 04

After watching end's earlier de-fragging thread I downloaded dklite and did the analyse. It said I needed to defrag so I set it going. 3 hrs later it was still on 15% so I stopped it. I then used the Windows defrag to analyse and it said I had no need to defrag the volume.....who do I believe, and is 3hrs excessive to only have got to 15%? Windows XP Home, SP2, 120g hard drive with 38.3g used, 512 RAM. I last defragged about 3 months ago using Windows one, don't know how long it took - it was overnight.
Cheers

mobileman1953 17:17 13 Oct 04

downloaded dk lite on vogs recommendation defraged 80 gig drive in 20 minutes windows xp pro never been defraged in at least 3 months using windows defrag

Shorty123 17:20 13 Oct 04

so have I got a problem here?

Gongoozler 17:34 13 Oct 04

I used the Windows defrag with XP on my drive and it took about 1 1/2 hours. I then installed DK Lite, and it took about the same. Windows defrag said that it didn't need a defrag, but DK Lite claimed it did. My conclusion is that the Windows XP defrag uses a much more tolerant criterion of what needs defragging than DK Lite, and whereas DK Lite is MUCH better than the Windows 98 defrag tool, it isn't a huge improvement on that in Windows XP. I'm currently using FAT 32, but plan to convert to NTFS and will then see if that makes any difference.

Shorty123, don't worry about DK Lite sticking at 15%, I think if you leave it that number will suddenly start moving a lot more rapidly.

I think the big difference between the time taken for the defrag by Shorty123 and mobileman1953 could be that Shorty123 has 38.5G of files, whereas mobileman1953 may have a much smaller amount of his 120G drive actually used. A 7200rpm drive may also defrag faster than a 5400rpm one, although I have no evidence to that effect.

Shorty123 17:37 13 Oct 04

Ok thanks gongoozler, I'll stop panicking and set dklite to run overnight.

Gongoozler 17:44 13 Oct 04

A bit of information that may be of interest. On my desk I currently have 2 computers. One computer has Windows 98se, the Windows folder is 371MB, has 3773 files and 212 folders. The other computer is running Windows XP Pro. The Windows folder is 1610MB, has 10,272 files and 526 folders. Perhaps thats why defragging takes so long!

Gongoozler 14:11 15 Oct 04

I have just converted my 10G C: partition to NTFS, and defragmenting with Diskeeper Lite took about 10 minutes. This is a HUGE improvement on the previous time of over an hour when I was using FAT32.

Shorty123 12:39 18 Oct 04

Is there a way I can remove the green resolved tick from this??
I have tried running dk lite 4 times now but always stopped it, the first 3 times it only got to 22% after 7 hours, the lst time 23% in nearly 9hrs. I cannot be off the pc for the amount of time it seems to be going to take. I tried running dk lite in safe mode but it wont - I get a message up saying its not available on this machine. BTW, XP's defragger seems to take even longer.
Cheers

Gongoozler 13:17 18 Oct 04

Hi Shorty123. You can't remove the green tick, but you can keep posting to the thread, or start a new thread and include a link to this one by copying and pasting the url from the address window. I've never had problems with DK Lite taking this long. Have you checked to see that your file system is NTFS?

Shorty123 14:47 18 Oct 04

Hi, I don't know what NTFS is.....I don't actually know what you mean by my file system.....scuse my ignorance....FAT32 seems to feature a lot, does that mean that is what my file system is?
Cheers

Gongoozler 09:38 19 Oct 04

Got to "My Computer". Right click on the C drive and select "Properties". See what is there after "File System". FAT32 was used for Windows 98, and although it works well for Windows XP, it has several disadvantages compared with NTFS (NT File System). If you have FAT32, I'll give more detail on how to convert to NTFS.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…