Differences between Pentium, Athalon and Celeron?

JonSon 11:55 15 Sep 05

Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone knew the main differences between Pentium, Athalon and Celeron chips?

I have seen a decent system with Mesh click here but not too sure what an AMD Athlon™ 64 3500+ Processor is capable of.

I'm not too sure but I always thought that Pentium processors were the best?

Can anyone please give me some advice? Thanks.

Stuartli 12:13 15 Sep 05

Here's the history of CPUs unti the early part of this decade:

click here

and a little more up to date versions:

click here

Advanced Micro Devices (AMD) CPUs studied here:

click here

and Intel Pentium/Celeron etc here:

click here

There are many other similar websites with such information including, of course, the Intel and AMD sites.

Totally-braindead 12:42 15 Sep 05

Had a look at the Mesh computer and it seems to be very good for the money, plenty of memory, pretty good graphics and a decent sized hard drive. If you bought it you couldn't go far wrong I think. Its not easy to say how good it is as you can get better depending on what you want and how much you're willing to pay and of course what you want to use it for. However to bring it into context it has a high enough specification to run any program that I have yet seen. Pentiums are good but for value for money AMD wins as they are quite a lot cheaper. A similar spec computer built on an Intel chip would probably be £100 more expensive, perhaps more.

interzone55 12:47 15 Sep 05

To all intents and purposes, Pentium and Athlon processors are the same for most people.

Only when you are pushing a processor to the limits will you be able to tell the differences.

If you are working in video or audio editing, you will find a Pentium processor is best.

For Games, then Athlons lead the way.

Celeron and Sempron processors are cut-down, therefore cheaper, versions of Pentium and Athlon processors. For everyday work (office, internet, light gaming) a Celeron or Sempron should fulfill most peoples' needs, because after all, an Aston Martin can easily cruise the Autobahns at 180mph, but for going to the shops a fiesta is all you need.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…