differences between internet connections

Adz1310 14:02 04 Aug 07

hi,
i was just wondering which makes the differences. I am with Plusnet and have a bt voyager 2100 router. My girlfriend is with talk talk and has a new belkin router. Her internet is and seems to be so much faster. Is it the areas we live, or the service providers, or the hardware????

Totally-braindead 14:07 04 Aug 07

Could be any of the above.

I'm with PlusNet now and I was using a Speedtouch USB modem which failed. So I went to my backup and elderly Sagem one and my speed doubled. I kid you not I was flabbergasted, on the Speedtouch I was getting about 1.6 - 1.9 megs and on the Sagem I got about 3 - 3.5 megs.
I've now got a BT router and my speeds are between 3.5 megs and 4.5 megs.
My connection hasn't altered in the slightest with settings etc, all I've done is tried different hardware.
Needless to say I'm delighted.

Adz1310 14:15 04 Aug 07

she has one of these belkin high speed wireless routers, so it could be that, may have to look on ebay for one!!!

Totally-braindead 14:21 04 Aug 07

Adz1310 speak nicely to her first. Borrow it, try it on yours and see, theres no point buying it if it makes no difference.

Theres tons of other things that affect speed, distance to exchange, service you are on, how many people share the bandwidth, etc, etc.

Borrow hers and try it before you part with a penny.

mfletch 15:13 04 Aug 07

Hi why don't you both try this speed test to see who has the faster broadband

click here

mfletch

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…