Difference betwen Hibernate and Stand By

Ancient Learner 17:12 31 Oct 05

Could some kind person please explain the difference between these 2 in terms that I have a chance of understanding.

And, which is the best to use when leaving the PC for a while. ( The PC lives in a safe place where no one is going to see it and interfere.

Graham ® 19:18 31 Oct 05

When you put your computer into hibernation, everything in computer memory is saved on your hard disk. When you turn the computer back on, all programs and documents that were open when you turned the computer off are restored on the desktop.

You might want to save your work before putting your computer on standby. While the computer is on standby, information in computer memory is not saved on your hard disk. If there is an interruption in power, information in memory is lost.

Very subtle difference.

Ancient Learner 21:20 31 Oct 05

Thank you for that. As you say, a very subtle difference.

So from that, when I Hibernate, I should retain my ability to use the Internet, being on BB, however I can't and have to 'restart' to get the ability back. Odd!!

stalion 21:23 31 Oct 05
  woodchip 21:27 31 Oct 05

Yep I get that sometimes. With Laptop as I just close the Lid to Hibernate. It Creates a Big File that is opend when you restart

Jackcoms 21:28 31 Oct 05

"So from that, when I Hibernate, I should retain my ability to use the Internet, being on BB, however I can't and have to 'restart' to get the ability back."

Yes, because in Hibernation the PC actually powers off and, thus, when you bring it out of hibernation you are, effectively, switching back on your modem and other connected hardware.

Ancient Learner 21:38 31 Oct 05

From what you say, it would seem that there is a fault then, although woodchip seems to experience the same fault occasionally.

Fault! Any ideas then?

woodchip 21:42 31 Oct 05

It is that when you shut down and it creates the file. Sites depend on Cookies and think it's something to do with that. As my connection is on Wireless connected but on occasions in the past I have had to reboot to clear problem. I think it may be a Corrupt file it creates

David4637 13:10 01 Nov 05

From the above can I assume that if you are leaving your PC for say 1-2 hours then it would be better to use Standby. This is better than using hibernation which effectively is turning it off the PC, then on when you return.
PLEASE CONFIRM I HAVE GOT IT RIGHT. Thanks David

interzone55 13:29 01 Nov 05

1) Hibernate saves the contents of RAM into a file called hiberfil.sys, then powers off. Therefore this is the most economical mothod if one is to be away from your PC for sometime, but, as others have mentioned, because the power is off, your broadband connection would be dropped.

2) Suspend to RAM, which I assume is also referred to as standby, shuts down your CPU, Hadr Drives, graphics cards etc, but keeps RAM powered up, this means that when you restart, all your devices are powered up and when RAM is combined to the page file your PC is effectivly up & running again, but I suspect that seeing as all devices except RAM are powered down, your internet connection would again be dropped.

If it is a great hardship reconnecting to the internet after powering down your PC I suggest you invest in an ADSL modem/router, these will keep your connection live 24/7 and also enable connection sharing with more than one PC.

Stuartli 13:29 01 Nov 05

It is far superior to use Hibernate - it retains all the settings, configuration, programs etc being used when put into Hibernation mode and reopens at the exact point when the Power button is activated.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…