difference between winzip and winrar

ponytail 17:56 26 Mar 13

I have some Rar files I need to open I used to use WinRar but do not have it on my laptop I do have software for Winzip version 8.1 would that do the same job as WinRar or do I need to install WinRar

Chronos the 2nd 18:32 26 Mar 13

Go and get the excellent 7Zip which will open .rar files and .zip files.

ponytail 20:56 26 Mar 13

Hi Chronos the 2nd I cicked on your link then chose 64-bit x64 for windows 64 then clicked on run and got the following message The publisher of7z920 x64 could't be verified are you sure you want to run the program in other words is it safe and did I choose the correct download for windows 7

ponytail 20:59 26 Mar 13
  hastelloy 09:34 27 Mar 13

That's jzip - never come across it before.Chronos the 2nd recommended 7zip.

Chronos the 2nd 09:46 27 Mar 13

Two points here, I would not recommend and post a link to something I had not used myself. Also I have used this program for many years. What more can I say.

bjh. 10:08 27 Mar 13

7Zip is excellent. Have used it safely and freely for years now. Chronos the 2nd's link is fine and safe (and he's also been around here for years, so he's probably safe as well....). That message you got is, in this case, nothing to worry about.

It's a very versatile and well-supported piece of free software.

SimpleSimon1 10:23 27 Mar 13

Seconded (or should that be thirded). 7ZIP is fast, stable, easily handles multiple archive types (including RAR)and easily integrates into windows. Used it for years with no probs

woodchip 12:08 27 Mar 13

Win/Zip is a Program for unziping and ziping files to compress them, Win/Rar is a form of Zip file mostly used in Linux

bremner 12:43 27 Mar 13

Winrar like Winzip is a program for unzipping and zipping files to compress them. One uses the file extension zip the other rar.

WinRar offers more functionality than Winzip

Winrar is the Windows version of the multi platform RaR Archiver

ponytail 09:59 29 Mar 13

i have uninstalles the other program ie jzip and clicked on Chronos the 2nd link again andstill get the following message in red

Hi Chronos the 2nd I cicked on your link then chose 64-bit x64 for windows 64 then clicked on run and got the following message The publisher of7z920 x64 could't be verified are you sure you want to run the program in other words is it safe and did I choose the correct download for windows 7

Read more: http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/forums/1/tech-helproom/4219668/difference-between-winzip-and-winrar/#ixzz2OvB11cKc

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date and features: Google Allo is…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…