difference between laptops and notebooks

numbnuts2 16:03 10 Sep 10

Hi,
I'm looking to replace my aging laptop, with a budget of about £500.

I am looking at all the options in that price range but I am a bit confused as to the difference between laptops and notebooks.

Any ideas as to a good machine in this price range would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Nontek 16:22 10 Sep 10

As far as I am aware, there is no actual difference, just the names some people prefer to call then. Though generally speaking I believe that notebooks are usually considered to be those laptops with the smaller screen-sizes.

Novatech should be a good starting point in your search.

Nontek 16:25 10 Sep 10
  woodchip 16:41 10 Sep 10

Laptop was the old name for a Notebook. Netbook are a smaller version, less Optical Drive And you can use them on your lap. When they Started using cheap Desktop CPU's they run too hot for on your Lap, plus they flatten the battery a lot faster.

woodchip 16:48 10 Sep 10

PS
I have a Medion Notebook with Celeron CPU and runs very hot, a HP Notebook with Centrino CPU this is a proper Notebook CPU runs cool but the only fitted a small battery hence it only lasts about the same time as the Medion on Battery about hour 20 minutes.

On the other hand I have a Samsung Netbook with a Atop CPU runs just about as fast and lasts from 9 to 10 hour on battery under normal use

woodchip 16:49 10 Sep 10

that should read 1 hour 20 minutes

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:17 10 Sep 10

PC Advisor best buy Medion Akoya P6625 £569 inc vat click here

john bunyan 18:04 10 Sep 10

Some notebooks don't have a DVD player/ burner, and too little RAM for some programmes.

woodchip 18:36 10 Sep 10

They are Netbooks not Notebooks. My Netbook as a 160Gib Hard Drive and 1Gib Ram.

Its a Samsung Nc10

grey george 21:11 10 Sep 10

A net book is so called because it realise very much on a internet connection. Having no optical drive cd/dvd, applications can only be downloaded via the internet or from a usb drive. When looking for a new machine it is better to decide what applications you wish to run and then choose a devise which can run them well. Remember long after you have forgotten the specification of the device you will be stuck with the screen and keyboard, so these items are very important because you use them every time you switch the computer on.

pegleg64 11:23 11 Sep 10

Thanks for your replies guys.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…