Difference between full and upgrade version of XP?

Red Flag 22:55 06 May 03

Is the upgrade version of XP the same as the full version except for requiring you to prove you have a copy of W98 before it will install.

or

Is the upgrade version of XP essentially an add on to W98.

I'm confused.

VoG™ 22:57 06 May 03

It is exactly the same except that you gave to either (a) install over the top or (b) reformat, install and pop in your 98 disk when prompted.

AndySD 22:57 06 May 03

Its the same as the full version except for requiring you to prove you have a version of a previous microsoft operating system before it will install.

Eagie 22:58 06 May 03

The Upgrade CD contains the full version of windows xp. The only difference between the upgrade and a 'full' version is the need to prove you have a previous version of windows.

Djohn 23:01 06 May 03

Well that's unanimous then! So it's all go. :o)

Red Flag 23:06 06 May 03

Thanks, that makes things cheaper!

Nosmas 00:34 07 May 03

Cheaper still at click here for OEM version - £58.16 (plus VAT = £68.34) which includes Service Pack 1. Also I am told the OEM version doesn't require you to prove entitlement to upgrade i.e. you don't need to insert the CD for existing version.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…