Difference between DVD-RW & DVD-Ram disks?

freaky 09:37 28 Dec 05

I believe that both of the above media have the ability to be re-written, and therefore be re-used - so what other differences are there ?

Lokit 09:57 28 Dec 05

This should answer your queries :

click here

SG Atlantis® 09:59 28 Dec 05

RAM disks can be used like a floppy disk within XP is how I had it explained to me.

freaky 10:38 28 Dec 05

The reason I raised this question is because I am thinking of buying a DVD Recorder with Hard Drive.

The two I like the sound of are the Toshiba RDXS24 with 160Gb HD. And the Sony RDRHX510S with 80Gb HD. The Toshiba is cheaper than the Sony, and supports DVD-Ram disks, whereas the Sony does not support DVD-Ram.

woodchip 10:41 28 Dec 05

Cost. Why bother as the log in page of PCA say's Pioneer are selling Blueray CDWR next month

wallbash 11:28 28 Dec 05

I have a Panasonic Recorder to use with the tv. It uses Ram disks ( and all the family have their own to use as a giant'floopy' / mini h/d !!!
ie use and store or wipe as they please

If I had this years model with built in H/D would not need the Ram disks as much, as would be saving the latest 'soap' to watch later!! on the H/d

But Ram disks are reusable many , many times, if the Toshiba is cheaper are you paying more for the name on the box??
If you go for the Toshiba , check out the thread on the Consumer forum , Ram discs at a 2/3 off.

I ordered three packs

Fellsider 11:42 28 Dec 05

DVD-RW can be written to and the data deleted BUT only by deleting ALL of the data is the space reusable.

DVD-RAM can be written to and PART of the data deleted (e.g first of two items) and the space is available immediately.

freaky 12:03 28 Dec 05

Thanks for the reply was a great help.

It would appear that Ram disks have a lot to offer because they can be edited i.e. you can remove adverts etc. This would not be possible with DVD-RW.

The Sony DVD Recorder does not support RAM Disks, and as you say you are possibly paying more for the name. It does however have 5.1 channel audio outputs for connection of 5.1 surround sound speakers, whereas the Toshiba does not.

Another factor is my present TV, DVD-Player and VHS are all Sony. The DVD Player has an in-built amplifier connected to a Sony 5 surround sound system. Therefore if I replace my current DVD player, I will no longer have surround sound for Dolby DVD's. This is something that concerns me.

I did look into this some time ago, and the only possible way around the problem involved purchasing a separate amplifier and speakers.

I am not very knowledgeable on these matters, and am therefore searching about for enlightment!

freaky 18:36 30 Dec 05

Thanks for all the replies - I have now bought a Panasonic DVD Recorder with HD - this can use Ram disks. Have ordered some Panasonic Ram disks from Empire Stores as per the link supplied on another post.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…