Difference between "clone" and "image"?

stlucia 14:39 13 Dec 05

Having had problems recently which required a re-install of Win XP and other software, I've been wondering if using Acronis True Image (or similar) could have saved me some time and trouble. From what I've read here, I think it could; but I'm unsure about a few points:-

1. What's the difference between a clone and an image?
2. If I make a clone or image on my external drive (where I keep backups or copies at the moment), can I simply restore damaged or deleted program software by copying the clone or image back to their original drives, instead of having to re-install them?
3. If the answer to 2 is yes, does it also apply to the Windows operating system?

Chegs ®™ 14:48 13 Dec 05

The difference between clone and image is..

a clone is an exact duplicate of the partitions and files.To recover a working system,just unplug the damaged HD and connect the clone HD.

An image is just a copy of the files on the HD,to recover a full working system takes about 20 mins.

You can extract individual files/folders from the image,even system files,but due to the quickness of the full recovery,its probably easier to just boot off the recovery CD.

mgmcc 15:02 13 Dec 05

<<< can I simply restore damaged or deleted program software by copying the clone or image back to their original drives, instead of having to re-install them? >>>

Yes, you can just restore the complete image file which overwrites the damaged copy.

<<< does it also apply to the Windows operating system? >>>

Yes.

<<< I've been wondering if using Acronis True Image (or similar) could have saved me some time and trouble. >>>

From personal experience, after a hard drive failed, it isn't just trouble saving, it's an absolute "life saver"! I had an image file restored to a new hard drive in about 20 minutes and was back to exactly where I was before.

I use Ghost but having looked at the Acronis True Image "trial version" that seems much more user-friendly.

stlucia 15:28 13 Dec 05

Thanks guys. I think that decides it for me, but one last thing: Is the image compressed, or does it take as much space on the backup disk as the original data does on the original disk?

JohnnyK_A1 15:39 13 Dec 05

Hi StLucia,
The Image file is usually smaller in size than the sum of the original file sizes. The reason for this is that the image file is in a compressed format. The compression ration is another question though; it also depends upon whether you originally start with many compressed original files (like zip, rar mp3, wma etc).
Regards,
JohnnyK.

Chegs ®™ 16:30 13 Dec 05

My C:\Windows + my progs and stuff is 4.95Gbs installed,compressed by TI only slightly gives me an image file of 3.67Gbs(just enough compression to get it onto a single DVD-R)

stlucia 19:55 16 Dec 05

I've got the trial version of True Image, and I've made a backup (image) of my C:\ drive.

I've also made a bootable rescue CD. Can I now replace my skinny 13Gb C:\ drive with something larger, boot from the rescue CD, then restore Windows and associated programs from the image onto the new C:\ drive, and expect everything to boot up and work just like it did before?

PaulB2005 20:42 16 Dec 05

In theory yes, but you might find the Trial version won't allow you to complete a Restoration.

If you had the full paid for version then the answer is a definate Yes.

stlucia 11:48 17 Dec 05

Thanks, PaulB. According to the user guide, the trial version can do a restore. But I'm going to get the paid-up version anyway because it's such a useful bit of kit.

PaulB2005 12:45 17 Dec 05

It's a life saver...

JohnnyK_A1 11:18 30 Mar 06

Hi,

I thought I'd better give you the benefit of my experience with the restoration of a drive image.

When I used PQ-Drive Image & later restored the samed image to a larger hard disk, the imaging software restored the image to the same size as the original partition size. This left me with a little problem. Say the original partition was 40GB. You HD fails & you buy a new replacement, but a larger hard disk capacity of say 160GB. Drive Image restores the original image size of just the 40GB, thus leaving the remaining 120GB not only unused but unrecognised & unusable. You then have to use say Partition Magic or similar, to either enlarge the small restored partition to the full hard disk size or alternatively create a second partition to utilise the remaining 120GB of the unused capacity of the larger replacement hard disk.

Hope this makes sense to anyone who reads this.
Regards,
JohnnyK.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…