did a virus kill my computer?

Mavro 10:32 24 Jul 08

Oh dear….I run XP home, two days ago I downloaded a game, yesterday I downloaded SP3 then surfed the net. AVG alerted me to a virus threat and I ‘healed’ numerous Trojans but now cant get on to my desktop. Every time I try to start the computer it boots up and goes to the windows screen, I click on my account then my desktop wallpaper opens, icons appear, then disappear and it hangs. I have tried safe mode but that hangs on a black screen, I have tried ctrl/alt/delete but message ‘Administrator has disabled…’ appears, I have tried system restore but it says it can’t restore. Sometimes before the desktop screen hangs I can click to start button. The icons for Control panel, set programs, connect to, help, search, and run are not there. The ‘all programs’ button is also not there. Looks like the virus killed my computer. Is there anything I can do?

Seth Haniel 10:35 24 Jul 08

start PC with CD in drive and see if there is option to repair 'R'

or option to start windows from CD and do virus wipe from there ?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:18 24 Jul 08

Task Manager disabled click here

Repair XP by install over the top of existing system

1. Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.

2. When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

3. Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER.

DO NOT choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console).

4. Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.

5. Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair.

6. Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot.

Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears.

Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

Repair XP
click here

Mavro 12:05 24 Jul 08

Thanks to you both for your replies. I will try the repair this evening (I'm at the office right now,) one thing though, Fruit Bat /\0/\, you said:
" You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order."

Please excuse my ignorance, but what is the 'System Documentation, and how do I change the boot order..?? It all seems rather daunting...thanks for your help

DippyGirl 13:41 24 Jul 08

Hi to get into the BIOS you have to press a certain key combination (like ESC or CTRL-ESC or CTRL-ALT-ESC or something else ) as the PC boots - this will either be shown on the screen during bootup or (alas) in the fabled Sys Docs
Once there you should get several menus you are looking for Boot Sequence

Mavro 15:54 28 Jul 08

I have not repaired Windows XP yet. I have spent the weekend backing up data where I have been able, just in case the files are lost during the repair. The only important thing I have not been able to back up is the OE mail folders. I am used to backing up OE by copying and pasting the store folder code in OE to the 'Run' box on the start screen, then copying the mail to a back up folder on the desktop thence to a memory stick. However the 'run' box has disappeared ( as has the control panel etc..)
Do you think the repair to XP will retain my email files or is there another way of backing them up? There are some 1300 emails to deal with.
Thanks!!

BT 16:18 28 Jul 08

This is the way I do it. If you can't access the 'run' box how about you navigate manually to the 'store' Folder and copy and paste the contents.

"Copy Mail Files to a Backup Folder

To make a backup copy of your Outlook Express e-mail message files:

On the Tools menu, click Options.
On the Maintenance tab, click Store Folder.
Select the folder location, and then press CTRL+C to copy the location.
Click Cancel, and then click Cancel again to close the dialog box.
Click Start, and then click Run.
In the Open box, press CTRL+V, and then click OK.
On the Edit menu, click Select All.
On the Edit menu, click Copy, and then close the window.
Right-click any empty space on your desktop, click New, and then click Folder.
Type mail backup for the folder name, and then press ENTER.
Double-click the Mail Backup folder to open it.
On the Edit menu, click Paste.
Close the Mail Backup window. "

"Export Your Outlook Express Address Book

On the File menu, click Export, and then click Address Book.
Click Text File (Comma Separated Values), and then click Export.
Click Browse.
Locate the Mail Backup folder that you created.
In the File Name box, type address book backup, and then click Save.
Click Next.
Click to select the check boxes for the fields that you want to export, and then click Finish.
Click OK and then click Close. "

Mavro 16:30 28 Jul 08

Thanks BT, the problem is where to paste the code for the store folder. The 'Run' box has disappeared so I can't :

"Click Start, and then click Run.
In the Open box, press CTRL+V, and then click OK."

griffon56 16:43 28 Jul 08

No intent to upstage Dippygirl but an easier way to arrange the boot sequence is, with the computer running, to put the XP CD in the drive then restart. I suppose you will have to use Cont+Alt+Del if you haven't got a Start menu. You could also try pressing the 'Windows' button on the keyboard, then the letter 'U', then the letter 'R' as indicated onscreen. Since your machine is not in good order right now it probably won't hurt to switch off on the power button by holding it in for a few seconds or using the reset button if you have one. Anyway.

Watch carefully as it restarts to pick out the key press or key sequence for entering the BIOS (of all the computers I have owned it's only ever been DEL or F1). You have to be quick but if you miss it just restart again. Find where you change the boot sequence by using the arrow keys to select the right menu and the Enter and Escape keys to get in and out.

Once you have found the place where the boot sequence is changed select First Boot Record and use the Page Up or Page Down keys to run thro' the sequence for it until you have it set to CDROM. The sequence will contain titles like IDE-0, IDE-1, SCSI and Atapi and others, as well as CDROM. Just step thro' them until you have CDROM showing. What the other boot records show doesn't now matter.

When you exit the BIOS you will get the choice of saving to CMOS and exit. Select Yes and press enter, or whatever you are required to do, and the computer will continue its restart but this time booting from the XP CD where you can proceed as FruitBat describes.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:15 28 Jul 08

Back up and recover Outlook Express
click here
Search your old computer for files ending .dbx. These are your emails. There should be Inbox.dbx, Outbox.dbx, Drafts.dbx etc. There must also be Folders.dbx, this is the data telling OE how the emails are compressed. Save all these dbx files, then you can either import them into OE on your new computer, or overwrite the files of the same name in the new computer. Look for a file called (name).wab, this is your address book, and a folder called Favorites. Save these and either import or overwrite to transfer them.

robin-337338 22:45 31 Jul 08

i believe that i have downloaded the same virus loosing icons the run box etc.i could not get my backup disk to reinstall i therefore formatted my hard drive i know have a copy of xp but it will not install win98 willinstall but will not run.i have tried a new hard drive with the same results .can anyone help

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…