Did not receive an ip address from dhcp server...

Thurrafork 15:14 07 Jun 10

Hi folks
I'm savvy enough with computers to have built a lovely PC, but I am an utter dunce when it comes to networking issues.
My pc has always been connected to my o2 broadband via direct ethernet connection to the router - no problem.
But my cousin is crashing with me for a while and his laptop can find the network, and seems to connect after entering the password, but then gets a limited or no connectivity thingy popup box.
And in his event viewer it shows the error 'Did not receive an ip address from dhcp server'.
I tried manually entering ip addresses and this removed the 'limited connectivity' issue and had no other problems reported, but it wouldn't actually connect to the internet. So I went back to the auto ip settings and of course initial problem was there.
I downloaded and ran a tcp/ip repairer utility on his laptop which also reset winsock, but the problem remains.
What do I have to do to make the laptop receive an assigned ip address from the dhcp server??
Does it require tweaking of my desktop pc? Or the laptop? or the router?
This just all seems a lot of hassle for such a simple thing.

Any help would be great! :)

Thanks

Jollyjohn 19:43 07 Jun 10

Double check the password - limited or no connection is the only indication that the password is wrong.
Access the router and in wireless settings switch off security - can the laptop now connect? If so set a new passphrase and try again.

jamestierney 13:44 17 Jun 10

Go to network connections and right click the connection and select repair

James from click here

Thurrafork 14:00 17 Jun 10

Hi folks
Thanks for the responses.
I managed to solve the problem.
I had been trying to log in using the password that I had given, not the hexadecimal option - and that was the problem for some reason.
When I found and then tried the hexadecimal equivalent of my password it all worked perfectly.
A little odd!
Thanks though!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…