Dictionary with sounds

johnincrete 03:56 10 Dec 09

I'm learning Greek and most resources are American and so have incorrect pronunciation (beta instead of vita for the second letter)
I want to create a dictionary of words as I am taught them with Greek spelling, English & the sound of the word.
Its use would be twofold:
1. conventional lookup to remind myself what a word means
2. as a learning tool: display greek, then english, then sound, proceeding from one to the next only on clicking or something.
Any ideas of what software I might use?

Graphicool1 14:41 10 Dec 09

Couldn't find an Audio Greek Dictionary as such, but check these out...
click here
click here

Graphicool1 16:31 10 Dec 09

What did you think, any good?

johnincrete 05:20 11 Dec 09

Very useful sites but not for Greek!
You cannot easily type in a word that contains accented characters and, in Greek, that's a high proportion! The accent indicates which syllable is stressed and can appear over any letter, including upper case if it is the first letter of a word. And, of course, it's American and they have Americanised Greek. For example, the second letter of the alphabet is B which sounds, in Greek, Vee, but Americans always get it wrong and say Bee. I tried to translate the spelling of this letter beta and got BETA pronounced as four separate letters. There are masses of sites to help you learn Greek but nearly all American & all have this basic problem.
Thanks for the input - maybe my grandchildren will have an interest to help them learn French

johnincrete 05:22 11 Dec 09

Is there a way to store sounds in Access?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos