dialup modem probs

kimosabi 18:47 16 Mar 03

hi guys
i have a problem connecting my sons modem
when i plug the telephone lead in the socket all the phones rings in the house.
1)I have changed modems
2)I have changed cables
3)I have uninstalled the modem and reinstalled
4)The computer say's the modem is working properly
5)I want to register with AOL but I must be connected to a tele line but as I said the moment I put the lead into the tele socket the phones ring in the house i only have one extention phone
I have tried all I can think of {SO I NOW GIVE UP}
ANY HELP WOULD BE VERY WELCOME
KIND REGARDS
KIMO
PS ITS A PACKARD BELL CELERON 700MHZ 64RAM, MODEM 56KBPS V.90

Quick.silver101 19:28 16 Mar 03

This is quite an uncommon problem.

The problem lies, not in your PC, but in the actual exchange itself.

You will need to talk nicely to your telephone company and get them to install a new exchange in your room.

Either that or you can fork out for a t-line microfilter. This will hopefully fix the problem as it converts your line into two different lines, then buy a private exchange from a local market. Plug the modem into both of the exchanges (the one you already have and the one you have just bought, and this will serve to give you the one line that you need and the other dormant line will act as if nothing is plugged into it at all, thus stopping the ringing.

AndyJ 20:02 16 Mar 03

This usually stems from using an incorrect modem lead i.e. an American one and not a UK one.

Take a look here click here I know it's freeserve, but it's typical of the answer you'll get.

Be careful though, it needs quite a high voltage to ring the phones so I'd sort out the problem pronto before you zap yourself.

kimosabi 13:35 19 Mar 03

hi guys
ok quick silver i managed to get a tele exchange from the scrapyard i am now looking for a generator lol

ANDY
I CHANGED THE CABLE AGAIN AND THE RINGING OF ALL MY PHONES AS STOPPED SO THAT PART IS OK BUT AOL SOFTWARE SILL CAN'T ACCESS MY MODEM WHEN I TRY TO SET IT UP I THINK THE BEST PLAN IS TO BUY A NEW MODEM ANY THANKS GUYS FOR YOUR HELP
REGARDS KIMO

graham 13:51 19 Mar 03

One thing to look at before money changes hands, look inside the phone sockets and make sure there are no reversals between them. The conventional colours are :

Blue/White rings - connector 2

Orange/White rings - connector 3

White/ Blue rings - connector 4

beeuuem 14:13 19 Mar 03

I have had similar problems with modems in the past. Polarity can be a source of these.
click here

The BT Drop Cable (The cable coming from the outside world)
This often has Orange, White, Green and Black wires.  Usually (but not always) Orange and White are the active pair and go to connections 2 and 5.  In some master boxes (such as the type with a removable front section) they go to two connectors marked A and B.  WHICH WAY AROUND THEY ARE CONNECTED USUALLY DOESN'T MATTER BUT AS RICK HUGHES KINDLY POINTED OUT SOME MODEMS (ESPECIALLY OLDER USA SOURCED ONES) AND SOME ANSWERING MACHINES ARE FUSSY ABOUT POLARITY, SO IT'S WISE IF POSSIBLE TO CHECK THE VOLTAGE ON THE LINE AND CONNECT -48V TO THE B LEG (J2) AND 0V TO THE A LEG (J5).

kimosabi 22:18 23 Mar 03

thanks guys cable prob solved with your help
nice link beeuuem thanks for that
comp still cant find modem device manager shows it properties says its working no conflict
i feel its the driver the modem is a mr2800w
downloaded a new driver but i don't know how to install it when it downloaded ???? unzipped it but can't see an install option anyway thank to all for your help
regards kimo

woodchip 22:25 23 Mar 03

If you are using a extension lead, change it as it's connected wrongly you just need a two wire lead for your modem

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…