Dialup help needed.

NewestRoyWidd 12:27 11 Jul 06

Hello,I'm wondering if anyone can help with the following problem;
I talk often via Yahoo Messenger to a friend in Tennessee,but because she's on dialup,each time she gets a phonecall,obviously her net connection is cut off.
This can be a pain if i'm sending her a large file etc.
I seem to recall there was a program that let you filter incoming calls,choosing whether or not to accept them,to avoid being cut off?
Has anyone please got ideas or suggestions for resolving this,or is b/band the only solution?
If more info re her system and ISP etc is needed,please bear in mind she is 6hrs behind GMT.
Many thanks,NRW

Stuartli 13:03 11 Jul 06

Why doesn't the caller get an engaged tone?

ArrGee 13:13 11 Jul 06

On some systems you won't get an engaged tone, but instead your friend would probably be receiving a 'call waiting' tone when somebody is calling her. This could be the cause for disruption. click here for tips on how to turn the call waiting feature off whilst using the dial-up.

NewestRoyWidd 13:15 11 Jul 06

Hello Stuartli,I'm not sure,perhaps they do.All I know is that the net connection drops out as soon as a call is received,which is to be expected.

NewestRoyWidd 13:19 11 Jul 06

Good suggestion ArrGee!That is a great idea,i'll see if i get anymore,but will certainly pass that on when we talk tonight,i've bookmarked the link you sent.Thanks.

NewestRoyWidd 13:14 13 Jul 06

To Stuartli and ArrGee;By way of an update to my dial-up problem,my friend is in the process of working through disabling call waiting on her phone.Apologies for the delay,I only spoke to her last night.
If any further advice is needed,I'll return to the forum.Many thanks.
NRW

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Glassworks Barcelona shows how it captured the artistic imagination of Conor in A Monster Calls

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…