dialup connection taking a long time

polymath 21:25 24 Jun 03

I recently tried lots of different ISP settings, trying to solve connection problems (failures in the first place, with varied error messages, & getting disconnected again). Those problems are now solved, by setting the modem to pause when the signal's interrupted, before disconnecting.

I'm left with a small irritation; normal dial-up behaviour as far as 'verifying user name & passport', but then that message is repeated in the box, and it takes about another 2 minutes to get through to wherever (it used to take just a second or 2).

I had tried making a new connection at one point (with the same details), but I'm now back to my old one as default (in both Internet Explorer & Outlook Express).

ISP settings? IE/OE settings? Modem settings? OS settings? (Win 98SE). Ideas much appreciated!

keverne 22:22 24 Jun 03

Try this:-

>Programs, >Accessories, >Communications, >DialUp Networking

Right-click the icon for the connection you are having problems with, >Select Server Types and make sure that Log on to Network isn't ticked.

polymath 21:08 25 Jun 03

Thanks daconner! It was ticked, so I unticked it (& reset just for luck) Then, as soon as the diallup box said 'verifying...', I was through in a twinkling.

I think it still said 'verifying...' twice, but too quickly to be a problem.

No wonder it was taking so long to find my Windows password, as I don't use one! I probably tried enabling it at some point, forgetting to check 'What's this?'.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…