From Dialup To Broadband

David4637 13:26 31 Aug 07

1. I have a 3 GHz XP Tosh laptop on a BT line.
Please advise what extra items I would require to change over to BB. Ignore ISP provision at the moment?
2. My other Desktop runs W98SE, will this run BB?
Thanks David

oldbeefer2 13:36 31 Aug 07

All you need is a modem/router - usually provided as part of the deal from the ISP. Add filters for each item of telephone equipment and that's it! Desktop should be OK you could go wireless for the laptop and wired for the PC from the same wireless router (laptop may be enabled - if not an adaptor is not expensive).

James1947 13:37 31 Aug 07

(i) A USB Modem or Mdem/Router

(ii) Yes

Totally-braindead 13:37 31 Aug 07

Just a router and the filters to connect your phones to thats all. Depending on who you go with you get the router and filters for free. And yes your Win 98 PC could go on BB too. If you wanted both on BB then you would probably be better with a wireless router and then buy a card for the second PC and connect that one wirelessly.

palinka 14:33 31 Aug 07

Connect your desktop with a modem router (tell your isp that you need this , not just a modem - they may charge as it's often the case that the free kit they send includes only a modem). Then connect the laptop to it wirelessly (that way round you keep the advantage of being able to take the laptop into other rooms, etc while still using the BB connection and the laptop may already be wireless enabled). The 98 desktop will run BB, but you may need to buy a a "network Card" for it if it doesn't already have one. You need a filter on each and every telephone socket in the house - the ISP will probably provide only one or two. You can buy extras at curry's, pcworld, etc, etc (shop around for best prices.)

yaesu 15:46 31 Aug 07

Hi, if you've got Sky TV dont forget the telephone connection to the digi box! Yaesu

David4637 13:02 01 Sep 07

Thanks all for your replies, could I just confirm that my Gateway 2000 Desktop (Pentium 3)running W98SE will run with BB? Thanks again. David

David4637 13:38 02 Sep 07

^

palinka 17:59 03 Sep 07

Yes, it will (unless others know different).

Totally-braindead 18:12 03 Sep 07

Yes the minimum spec for BB is
Windows 98SE/2000
Pentium 200MHz
32Mb RAM
150Mb Free on Hard Drive
4-speed CD-ROM Drive
Video display 800x600, 256 colours
SVGA Monitor
16 bit Sound Card

Or at least it is with my provider and they all are pretty similar so yours should more than meet the minimum.

Oh and you need a USB port free for the router, unless you get an internal one.

David4637 14:34 04 Sep 07

Thanks for your replies, will now investigate BB - Resolved David

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…