Dialler infections

EFC1878 23:24 17 Jul 06

As my Nortons 2003 is no longer supported I did an online virus check and was infroemd that I have 2 dialer infections [Dialer.Generic & Dialer. Palazzo)

Looking at the security notes it states that these are both dialer applications that dial high cost numbers using a modem.

Am I right in thinking that these dialers do not work when you havean ADSL Broadband connection and prey on normal dial-up modems whihc they then re-direct?

skidzy 23:33 17 Jul 06

You are correct if you are on BB,however i would still use this click here

johnnyrocker 23:34 17 Jul 06

not a problem as long as your on board modem is not connected.

johnny.

johnnyrocker 23:35 17 Jul 06

also click here for very good and free av

johnny.

EFC1878 08:30 18 Jul 06

No my dial-up on-board modem is disconnected and I only use the ADSL BB modem. Grateful for your confirmation thatI should not be affected.

Given thatNortons is no longe rsupported and when I tried to run an upgrade to 2006 I was told that 'it was not available in my area' I have now followed your advice and taken the plunge to go with AVG.

I assume that I need to disable Nortons as I beleive that it is not a good idea to run 2 virus checkers at the same time in case they conflict.

Gongoozler 08:37 18 Jul 06

EFC1878, you are quite right in your assumption that you can't run more than one antivirus program. I ditched Norton for Avast a few years ago and have had no problems at all. Being on broadband does leave your computer more open to attack, so I recommend antivirus (AVG or Avast), firewall (ZoneAlarm), anti adware (AdAware), and to mop up a lot of nasties that might slip through the net an occasional sweep with Ewido click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…