Dialer.6.G Trojan horse

olyman 11:42 18 Apr 04

AVG has detected a Trojan horse called Dialer.6.G. that it cannot remove.

VoG II 11:43 18 Apr 04

Try Spybot click here

johnnyrocker 11:49 18 Apr 04

depending on your os the likely reason is because it is in system restore?

olyman 12:22 18 Apr 04

I have run Spybot but it doesn't detect anything. I do get a phantom dialer showing up on occasion.
I am on XP. If it is in System Restore will disabling SR stop the problem and how do I get rid of it to allow me to re-enable?

VoG II 12:27 18 Apr 04

If it is in a restore point then turning off System Restore will get rid of it (and all of your restore points).

Does AVG give the location of the file?

olyman 13:18 18 Apr 04

Yes it does.

Docs & Settings\...\local settings\temp internet files\CONTENT.IE5\PUW0HOTV\GVX143~I:EXE

Presumably it wont be as simple as clearing temporary files otherwise AVG could have done that.
I have IE6 not IE5 as referred to

VoG II 13:20 18 Apr 04

Run CleanUp! click here

This will delete all of your temp internet files, including the dialer (it may need a restart to do this - it does this automatically).

Doogie Howser 14:48 18 Apr 04

Hadn't spotted this thread but we have a similar problem and just found this using the search facility (it does sometimes work!)click here) I've just bumped it.

olyman 15:27 18 Apr 04

Thanks all.
I have searched the temporary internet files and the offending file is no longer there. I will try a broader search and study the links in Doogies post. I'll do a backup before doing anything drastic. I'll also try Cleanup. I may be back :-)

whatchamacallit 16:26 18 Apr 04

I have just removed this Trojan from my PC.

AVG found it on my system, put in Avg Vault.

Deleted all Temp Internet files, including all offline content.

Went back to AVG Vault deleted Trojan file.

Ran AVG again Trojan gone, did some online scan`s
system clean.

olyman 16:59 18 Apr 04

In my case AVG said it couldn't put it in the Vault.
However the problem seems to have cured itself. I ran AVG again and it no longer warned of a Trojan. I have searched for any reference in my XP files and can find nothing. As far as I know I have done nothing to bring this about! I have my fingers crossed.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface PC release date, price and specs: All-in-one Surface PC to directly rival iMac

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…