Dialer Removal

tallboy 12:15 07 Mar 06

I run Norton Internet Security on my Windows 2000 PC. On the last full scan it identified a 'Threat' - a telephone dialler with the file name A0086413.CPY Norton could not remove it and when I tried to search for the file, I got the message 'file not found'.

Any ideas as to how to (a) find it and (b) remove it would be appreciated.

Thanks

Tallboy

johnnyrocker 12:19 07 Mar 06

if you are on broadband and dont have your on board modem connected i wouldn't worry.

johnny.

movementz 12:27 07 Mar 06

try running adaware and hijack this. Should get rid of the little bugger

NewRoyWidd 13:12 07 Mar 06

Hello tallboy;you might also try the free download of A-squared,click here then run it.I use it often and find it most effective,you can also update it freely too.As far as I'm aware,hijackthis won't remove trojans and the like,it's just for supplying detailed info about your system which you then post for those more experienced to analyse just what the problems are.

tallboy 11:19 08 Mar 06

Thanks to all for the suggestions. The only time the PC would be connected to the telephone is if my broadband provider's service went down - which fortunately is not very often.

Interestingly, A-squared (which I had already) does not pick up this little bug. I'd like to know why, if Norton can find it (but not delete it) why Microsoft's search can't find it. Is there a way of seaching from it from a DOS command prompt Window without out having to look through each individual directory? Or alternatively, if there is a 'usual' directory where dialers reside, I could look in there from a DOS window.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Fresh New Fonts of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced