dialer invasion

ANTHONY-268247 10:27 29 Dec 03

I inadvertedly clicked on something in a spam E-mail which resulted in the invasion of my computer by a dialer.It switched off the sound to my modem dialer and then quietly redialed to another ISP.When I noticed this I uninstalled the dialer.Everything is now returned to normal except that there is now no sound from my modem dialer in spite of it being set to on in the modem profile.
Anyone know why?Is there somewhere else where the sound could have been muted.Would rolling back correct the system?
I am running windows XP on an Evesham evolution Pentel P4
Tony

habs 11:23 29 Dec 03

Hi

I had the same problem when my modem disconnect me and dial to another ISP. This isp is premium number call, i made 4 call without knowing, the the BT bill come in ,4 phone call to that isp £47.

Call BT or your telephone company to block premium number.

try to uninstall the modem driver and reinstall the driver again.

good luck

Macc 12:13 29 Dec 03

click here kolla.de/
Note NO www.!

Macc 12:17 29 Dec 03

Sorry, the click here has not rcognised the website - use a search engine to find Spybot; it's a program developed by somebody at the University of Dortmund and removes dialers as well as other rubbish.

Jester2K 12:21 29 Dec 03

click here

Macc just paste it with the http bit and it works

Mac101 13:22 29 Dec 03

Thanks Jester2K

ANTHONY-268247 12:02 30 Dec 03

Spybot revealed nothing, modem is enabled ,modem is on,still baffled would reinstalling modem driver have any effect

TONY

Big Elf 14:29 30 Dec 03

I think there are 2 areas where modem sounds are set. One is through the modem properties in device manager. The other is obtained by double clicking on the 'connection' icon in the system tray (after a connection has been established). Click on the Properties button, and on the General tab click the configure button. There should be an option to enable the modem speaker.

Also ensure that the sound hasn't been set to muted on the volume control.

ANTHONY-268247 14:53 30 Dec 03

I have checked both of these and they are set to enabled and on. The sound for all other programmes is unaffected.
TONY

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…