dialer

chrissy1 15:52 16 Sep 07
Answered

After running a full scan norton has found Dialer Generic...which has not been removed....how would i go about this.....im on broadband not dial up...using xp home edition......

kindly 17:01 16 Sep 07

If you are on broadband then you need not worry because the modem for dialup is not used. If you are worried about it then you can go into the devis manager and disable it there. To do that right click on the "My computer" on your desktop then click on properties then hardware. You will then see devis manager. Click on this and go down the list till you see "modem". If you click on the plus next to it just to make sure it is the only modem listed you can then right click on it and select "disable".
This will stop the internal modem or the dial up modem from working.
Hope this helps.

chrissy1 17:40 16 Sep 07

looked in device manager but 'modem'not in list...just computer..ACPI multiprocessor...
while im here..i do have 'unknown' in list 'primary
and secondary IDE controller..and standard dual channel PCI IDE controller...what are these??

Also will a squared not clash with norton?

kindly 18:55 16 Sep 07

Chrissy, when you are in "device manager" you should have a list of all the things in your computer, such as processor, display adapters, sound cards and things like that. Usually there is a modem listed. If you dont have one listed there might not be one in the computer.

uesquebeathus 19:39 17 Sep 07

you really should not panic about this bug but to make your mind feel a bit safer download the free Asquared AntiDialer from here:-
click here

while you are there you could try the anti spyware it has a free version as well

chrissy1 20:35 22 Sep 07

went into symantec..says dialer within online service BT...trying to sort it with them........
did scan with Asquared that found 2 in c:\program common files AOL\ACS\wanmpsuc.exe
and PC doctor 5 p5x..Heuristic dialers RAS

D:\1386 APPS custom also heuristic RAS

Havent a clue what they are or if needed so i put them into quarantine for now...

chrissy1 21:58 25 Sep 07
Answer

BT says it is part of their program and to ignore it....and gave me link to uninstall norton and install again..havent done it yet...would i be better off to uninstall norton altogether and use another anti viris program like AVG or something?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…