Dial up won't go away

HauxtonPhil 18:00 16 Feb 05

Windows XP operating system. Recently upgraded to BT Broadband from Yahoo dial up. IE connection option ALWAYS set to 'dila whenever network connection..' Set this to 'Never dial...' but it still tries to dial. Remove the dial up (Default) completely. On power up its back again. Have now disconnected from the telephone line (leaving ADSL) and it still tries. Tried unticking BTYahoo.exe in MSConfig, but no effect (XP doesn't seem to like you doing that).
NAV system scan clean, spybot clean.
Any ideas?

VoG II 18:01 16 Feb 05

Disable the dial-up modem in Device Manager.

HauxtonPhil 18:03 16 Feb 05

Disabling the modem will stop it dialling, but will it stop the dial up box?

FelixTCat 18:33 16 Feb 05

Some other program is trying to access the internet and still thinks it needs to dial. Experience says that this could be Outlook Express. Have you set OE to check mail on start-up? Go into Tools - Options - Connection and make sure that no dial-up option is set.

HauxtonPhil 18:36 16 Feb 05

FelixTCat - thats a thought - can't try it now, so would still welcome other ideas. Looking in msconfig startup, BT Yahoo.exe is in the list - how can I permanently remove it (and other programs for that matter) from the start up routine?

VoG II 18:41 16 Feb 05

If you untick them on the startup tab then exit msconfig you will be prompted to reboot. Do this, when a message about selective startup appears, tick the Don't show me this message again box, and you should be sorted.

HauxtonPhil 18:45 16 Feb 05

VOG - OK, thanks for that. I still don't understand how, when I have Removed the dial up setting it comes back on power up. Where does it get the info from? - it must be stored somewhere?

FelixTCat 18:58 16 Feb 05

The other possibility is a virus/trojan. Do a complete scan of your system; in the short term, at least scan your system drive, since it will be a registry entry causing the problem.

Camyaj 19:05 16 Feb 05

Hi If youhaven't yet solved it do a search on this forum for newuser4222 this info cured similar symptoms that you have
Camjay nee newuser4222

HauxtonPhil 19:10 16 Feb 05

Sorry Camyaj - is it possible to search the form for a user?

Camyaj 19:13 19 Feb 05

Sorry to take so long to reply.Yes just enter the user in the top right search box you then get a page come up with lists, select the topic you are interested in under help room then its just like using the forum.
Jay

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…