dial up with tiscali gives pop-up handset message

Awestruck 20:54 30 Oct 06

When trying to access ISP (tiscali) with IE or OE a panel pops up asking us to lift the handset and dial the tiscali number and then to imediately disconnect the hand set. What is going on?

I would be grateful for your advice.

Awestruck

skidzy 22:54 30 Oct 06

Check for any dialers: never heard of this before Awestruck.click here also run your AV before going online,then update and run again.

Strange one this !!

Awestruck 17:42 04 Nov 06

Thank you skidzy but no diallers or viruses.

I found a reference on MS site as follows
"Operator-Assisted or Manual Dial" Error Message
Article ID817195 Last Review April 29, 2003 Revision1.0
When you use a dial-up connection to connect to a network or to the Internet, you may receive the following message:
Operator Assisted or Manual Dial
Pick up the handset and dial (or ask the operator to dial).
Press OK immediately after dialing, then replace the handset.
Phone Number: xxx-xxx-xxxx
CAUSE
This behavior occurs because Operator-Assisted Dialing is turned on.
RESOLUTION
To resolve this behaviour, turn off Operator-Assisted Dialing. To do this, follow these steps:
1. Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
2. Double-click Network Connections. On the Advanced menu, click Operator-Assisted Dialing to turn it off.
3. Note If operated-assisted dialing is turned on, a check mark appears next to the Operator-Assisted Dialing option on the Advanced menu.

This looked encouraging but step 2 in Windows XP shows the icons for various dial up ISPs. There is NO Advanced menu. Right clicking an icon eventually shows an Advanced tab but this does not reveal an Operator-Assisted Dialing option.

Could someone tell me the location of this ‘Operator assisted option’?
Awestruck

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the 2017 Oscar-winning VFX of The Jungle Book were created

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…