Dial-up problem

algernonymous 12:31 04 Sep 06

Why can I not access the internet using a dial-up service from a household which has a cable broadband supply? I have tried 2 0808 services which I am signed up to and neither will connect.

silverous 13:22 04 Sep 06

If you are plugging into a 'normal' phone socket (i.e. a BT line) you should not have a problem, unless there is another issue. Is BT their phone provider?

algernonymous 13:34 04 Sep 06

No, phoneline provider is cable also.

silverous 13:43 04 Sep 06

That's the problem.

See here for an example (only found this by searching google, did not know myself):

click here

"Please note that non-BT lines cannot connect using the 0808 numbers."

Stuartli 13:51 04 Sep 06

Does your cable company supply a modem suitable for dialup?

See:

click here

which states up to 53kbps should be possible.

silverous 14:03 04 Sep 06

Stuart - did you see my post above? Those numbers won't work for lines other than those provided by BT.

algernonymous 20:45 04 Sep 06

Yeah, thanks silverous, I remember now the ISP's stipulated 'BT line only'.

Jak_1 21:01 04 Sep 06

The dialup services are all BT dependent as far as I am aware so a cable would be of little use. Though I am intrigued as to why you would want dialup when you have a cable conection?

Stuartli 23:54 04 Sep 06

Yes, I did see your post.

Which is why I made my follow up posting.

silverous 08:49 05 Sep 06

So despite the fact that my post clearly states that the posters 0808 number will not work with a non-bt line a post about theoretical maximum£s using dial-up over cable modem is still relevant? Sorry I'm missing something in that case.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Glassworks Barcelona shows how it captured the artistic imagination of Conor in A Monster Calls

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…