dial up problem

heepster 19:30 02 Jul 06

My Dell dimension 5100 running xp (sp2)has a problem with dial up. I installed a concentric modem and windows recognises it and says its working properly. However when i try to connect to the internet it doesnt make any sounds , and an error message says there is a problem with it or the remote server. Tried several isps . same problem. went into windows help and it says com port 3 may be switched off? thats the port the modem is on. It tells me to go into device manager and got to "Ports and comms. But there isnt such a line there. Anyone help?

LastChip 21:31 02 Jul 06

I don't know if this applies to you, but if you have all the current updates to XP, there was a recent patch that caused problems with the dial up configuration on some computers. Microsoft has since issued a modified patch, which is claimed to solve the problem. But now you have a chicken and egg situation; how do you connect to the Internet to download the latest patch?

I guess the only way is to ask someone to obtain it for you and then transfer it via a USB drive to install it on your machine.

As I said, it may not apply to you, but click here for the gist of the problem.

heepster 09:15 04 Jul 06

Managed to sort this out.Seems the modem died.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5