Dial up Problem

Cameraman 16:23 10 May 06

I have now had this problem twice After Using Outlook Express Working off line and writing an email. when I close Express the Dial-up connection showing My tiscali connection for dial-up is missing I have searched for it using search after making sure all working off line properties are not ticked . The only wayI have been able to it back is to do a restore.Is there another way without doing this. I use a Tiacali broadband 2mg Plase can someone Help!!!

Stuartli 16:31 10 May 06

Have you checked out the configuration from Internet Explorer>Tools>Options>Connection tab?

Tiscali should be your Default Connection.

OE uses IE's configuration.

Cameraman 17:42 10 May 06

thanks

wobblymike 18:00 10 May 06

Hi
If Stuartli's suggestion has resolved your problem all well and good but I am confused - you say you are on broadband but talk about dial up - are you referring to the two little TVs in your notification area or am I missing the point?

Stuartli 18:18 10 May 06

It doesn't matter if it's DialUp or Broadband - to Internet Explorer's Connection configuration it's a dialup service...:-)

pj123 19:18 10 May 06

I must say that I am confused as well.

It's either a Broadband connection (always on) or it's a dialup connection (using an analogue modem)

I fail to see why a broadband service is a dialup service.

Stuartli 19:32 10 May 06

To Windows, broadband is a DiaUp connection service and uses the same New Connection wizard to do it manually as with a dialup modem.

However, instead of a phone line, you choose a DSL line in the intial stages.

pj123 21:00 10 May 06

Maybe I'm a bit thick but I still don't follow that. I am on NTL BB and when I click on ie in the Start bar I immediately get my home page (Google. uk.) I also have an internal analogue modem installed (in case BB goes down) but to use that I have to double click on the Tiscali icon on the desktop, which then gives me a "Connect" dialogue box. I click on connect and it dials out and connects me to Tiscali???

Jak_1 21:08 10 May 06

They are right, Broadband is shown as a dialup. in the connection setup, usually a zero is inserted inplace of the dialup number. On startup the pc needs to tell the server that it wants to connect to it via the phone line though there is no actual number to dialup. Having a zero where the phone number goes initiates the connection protocols.

It is a bit misleading but your pc still has to initiate the connection just like dialup.

Clear as mud!

wobblymike 21:46 10 May 06

I'm afraid I am going have to agree to disagree with you Stuartli on this occassion, never mind this is camaraman's thread perhaps you would like to tell us where you are now or have we managed to confuse you even more than I am?

wobblymike 21:48 10 May 06

Sorry hit the enter button before I had finished

There is always the point that USB broadband operates through the VPN network perhaps Stuartli is referring to this I cannot see how ethernet BB can be considered so.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5