Dial up problem

JoJoh 11:36 14 Apr 05

Each time that I go to use my dial up connection the computer blocks. I can hear the computer dialling into my ISP and then it gets to a certain stage and the whole computer just blocks. No keyboard,mouse etc will work.
Anyone have any ideas how to stop this.

Kate B 12:03 14 Apr 05

ooh, nightmare JoJoH. Can you give us a bit more information please - what operating system are you running, are you doing anything else at the same time, is all your AV software etc and firewall up to date ...? Has this happened before with any other application?

JoJoh 12:08 14 Apr 05

Hi - Thanks for your reply. I am running Win98 SE.
No antivirus software loaded, no firewall. The computer is only used to send email, no internet use.

jack 12:16 14 Apr 05

Go to the dial up panel and create a new connection.
Start afresh

If this works delete the old one - it possibly has corrupted- becuase you have no protection.
Then get protection, any of the freebies will do it.

pj123 13:56 14 Apr 05

JoJoh, "The computer is only used to send email, no internet use". You are still using the internet so I would suggest you get all the protection you can. I don't think I would like to receive an email from you.

woodchip 14:07 14 Apr 05

Yes you have a IRQ conflict, You should be able to check by going to Start\Programs\Accessories\System Tools\System Information\Hardware Resources\Conflicts Sharing

woodchip 14:08 14 Apr 05

You would be better with a External Modem as these us a Com port on the back that is setup with it's own IRQ

Kate B 14:35 14 Apr 05

woodchip, even I didn't really understand your post, so doubt someone less computer-aware would!

JoJoH, there's a good chance you have picked up a virus or something similarly nasty. Get someone with a broadband connection and a firewall etc to download AVG, Zone Alarm, Adaware, Spybot and probably something like Stinger as well. Install and run all those, then when your computer is clean try deleting the old connection and creating a new one from scratch. Post back here if you need any help with that.

JoJoh 14:50 14 Apr 05

Dear all,
Thanks for your advice. Regarding a new dial up connection, I have already tried that one. I have checked the conflicts/sharing and the modem is on IRQ 9 together with 4 other items. It doesn't say if there is a conflict as the conflict/sharing tab is together.

I don't believe that there is a virus as this computer was sent to one of our shops clean and has not been used to answer emails or connect to the web. Also, I can dial in to the computer via PC Anywhere and can get a dialling tone just then it blocks up when it seems to get connected to my ISP. It is just dialling out that is the problem.
The only thing that makes me thing that there could be a virus is that perhaps the ISP itself is blocking the connection. The user name and password are correct.

If there is a conflict how do I correct it? i.e. put the modem on a different IRQ where it will not conflict.

I appreciate about getting an external modem however would prefer first to see if I can resolve this issue.

woodchip 15:03 14 Apr 05

All Hardware uses IRQ's they are limited to 16 including "0" if you go to the above in what I posted you can find what uses what some hardware will run side by side with other hardware but not all. If there is a Conflict in IRQ sharing it can be seen in Device Manager. You then have to start trying to Juggle IRQ's to get thing's working. If the conflict then things come to a dead stop i.e Freeze up. Memory sharing can also be the problem. It's all the fun of owning a PC

Kate B 18:12 14 Apr 05

thanks for that, woodchip - I've learned something. that's been something of a blank spot for me.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…