Dial-up Network Connection

Abel 17:50 19 Jan 03
  Abel 17:50 19 Jan 03

Having followed Freeserve's help, in setting up the dial-up network conection, to the letter, I'm still getting the following message when firing up Outlook Express "An error occurred while establishing the dial-up network connection" It's possible to hide this error report and go on to connect to Freeserve, but the sending and receiving of e-mail has to be activated manually as does disconnection.

Any suggestions?

Abie

Gongoozler 18:25 19 Jan 03

Abel, what version of Outlook Express and what version of Windows?

Gongoozler 09:44 21 Jan 03

The operating system is Windows 98
and Outlook Express is Version #6

-------------------------------------------------
Hi Abel. It's better if you reply via the "Add a new response" box at the bottom of this page, this helps keep your thread alive, and someone else may spot the thread and come in with the answer to your problem.

The main reason I asked about the version of OE was that Microsoft actually list this error message but only for OE4 for Windows 95, I don't know if any of the suggestions they make apply to OE6.
http ://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;q179656

Abel 10:47 21 Jan 03

Thanks Gongoozler, I'll try the MS link you suggest. I'm a new boy to this PC A site but I take the point you make and will use it in future

Abel

Richard Tomlinson 11:35 21 Jan 03

Hello, I have recently upgraded from 98 to XP, and then upgraded to AoL 8.0 Beta. Result: CHAOS

All the connections shown in Network Connections Dial-up are there but each one has the red cross with the message unavailable - device missing and none of them works. However, the AoL desktop icon opens AoL 8, the modem calls the ISP, which does respond, but the modem then immediately disconnects and dials again. I have tried everything I can think of. Can anyone help please? Thanks

Abel 21:53 22 Jan 03

Hi Gongoozler,

It's me again. I'm having difficulty connecting to that web-link you gave me. The details you gave me are correct, aren't they? It may just be me, I'm not very adept at these things!

Abel

VoG™ 22:13 22 Jan 03

Here's Gongoozler's link (I hope!) click here

Abel 22:21 22 Jan 03

Thanks VoG it works! The only trouble is, I've gone to print the article only to find my printer's out of ink***!!!

Abel

VoG™ 22:25 22 Jan 03

Sod's law strikes again!

Abel 18:19 23 Jan 03

I'm afraid Gongoozler's suggestion hasn't worked any other ideas out there?

Abel

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…