Dial-Up Modems, can you help ?

cyclingchef 14:43 11 May 06

I have a Shuttle SFF XPC SB83G5 P4 3Ghz/WD 160Gb/512Mb/DVD-Writer.
Broadband thru a Belkin Router/Modem is fine. No problems except....
This is going to my daughter to replace a stolen Shuttle (burgled)
No broadband available to her so installed a dial-up modem.
2 different modems tried (56k V92) same symptoms when attempting to connect, message "Opening Port" then PC hangs. Dial-Up connection from same line (different PC OK) Diagnostics 'Query Modem' success on failing modems. Modem "no problems' in hardware - device manager. No conflicts in resources.
Modem installs onto Com3. Device manager "Ports" only show Com1.
I assume Com3 is dedicated to modem. I have emailed Shuttle for advice but could take for ever. Any experts out there who dabble in the black arts of dial-up ?
Thanks

pj123 15:37 11 May 06

Who/What are you attempting to connect to?

Have have you set up a PAYG account with an ISP?

To check that your modem is working correctly, try this.

Make a new connection. In the Select a Device box check it shows the modem you have. Click Next. Leave the Area Code box blank and in the Telephone Number box enter:

08451121212 click Next and then finish.

Now double click your new connection and in the User name put in anything you like: fredbloggs and in the password, again put anything you like: 123456, etc. Then click on Connect.

Hertz Van Rentyl 17:08 11 May 06

If you have a mobile try your number.

Stuartli 17:45 11 May 06

Have you checked that the original BB connection isn't still configured as the Default Connection?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 7 simple tips to get more out of…