dial up modem problem, no dial tone

Superstylin 13:14 27 Dec 05

hi, i have an acer laptop that i generally use with wireless broadband when at home. i've been at my parents house for xmas and had taken the laptop expecting to be able to use dial up. unfortunately i was unable to setup a connection since my modem won't dial out.

i used the internet connection wizard to try and list providers but it never even got that far. when attempting to dial the modem would click but not dial. i checked connections to phone jack etc, used different cables with no luck.

the modem is an internal agere systems AC'97, windows help and support suggests a port is disabled and tells how to enable it but ports do not appear in device manager like they suggest it should.

any ideas?

Superstylin 13:43 27 Dec 05

well that was easily diagnosed! tried the laptop back at home same cables as before, no joy. then tried a cable i had here and it worked. i'm glad my modem works but i'm confused as to why the cables would work with the phone at my parents house but not with my modem.

are there different cables for different things??

pj123 13:59 27 Dec 05

Telephone/Modem cables come in two versions.

A two wire connection and a 4 wire connection.

Have a look at the cable that did work and the cable that didn't. You may find one is a 2 wire and the other a 4 wire.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…