dial up modem problem

Jayne doe 09:31 18 Feb 05

Morning guys. Sue had a new puter from the Wolverhampton puter fair on Sunday. They gave her a modem as she is not on broadband and one was not fitted. We took case off and popped modem in..no probs so far. Connected up and tried it. (Tiscali) No go. It does the handshake thingy. This Tiscali account has been used for 2 years previous. Entered all settings again correctly, (we went through all settings on old puter and wrote them down). When you start Tiscali or IE or outlook express it tries to dial right away but then stops, saying password is wrong. In the dial uo box is 11 stars for the password but the one Sue uses is 5 stars only. If you change it manually to the correct password it goes ok but if you close down and try to start again it fails unless you go to the dial up box and enter all the details again manually. Ive tried everything I know, which isnt much. I deleted all cookies in case of stored stuff. Ive deleted Tiscali 6 times and reinstalled. Same with modem. Any Ideas lads? BTW win xp latest one, home, and Norton 2005 AV is the only things on it so far. AMD 3200 with 512 ram.

xania 09:38 18 Feb 05

All I can safely say is that this is software rather hardware related. My bet is that you've a Windows password file that is set at read-only. If you can find this, and remove the read-only tag, you may resolve the problem.

Yoda Knight 10:01 18 Feb 05

The password will only update to the shorter one after a succesfull login. Have u tried getting Tiscali to change the password ?

Stuartli 10:05 18 Feb 05

Have you installed the correct driver for the modem?

You should download the latest driver for the modem model from the manufacturer's website or a drivers download website, perhaps on a friend's system.

Re the password display - this is deliberate and always reveals more asterisks than letters and/or numbers in the password.

FelixTCat 10:10 18 Feb 05

In the dial-up window there is a box to tick to remember the password. Is it ticked?

Jayne doe 15:32 18 Feb 05

Hi guys thanks for info.
*Re the password display - this is deliberate and always reveals more asterisks than letters and/or numbers in the password. *
didnt know this thanks could be why then.
Yes we tel Tiscali hung on at 50p per minute listening to music then after 12 mins gave up. Thats why I asked here.
*My bet is that you've a Windows password file that is set at read-only. If you can find this, and remove the read-only tag, you may resolve the problem.* Now this sounds likely...how do I find it? Thanks Jayne.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:15 18 Feb 05

search *.pwl

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Fresh New Fonts of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced