dial-up modem keeps disconnecting

mungo_one 14:02 30 May 06

I’ve installed a Sparkle SpeedCom Intel 56k V92 PCI Modem on my new Dell 5150 PC, using the WinXP drivers on the accompanying CD. All appeared well at first, with a successful dial-up and connection being made. However, the modem keeps disconnecting after every minute or so and I have to reconnect. When using my old serial port (via USB adapter) external modem and the same ISP, I don’t have this problem! Any ideas would be very welcome. Thank you.

Stuartli 14:14 30 May 06

Have you checked Internet Options>Connections tab>highlight your ISP>Settings>Advanced button>ensured that in Advanced DialUp both boxes are unchecked?

mungo_one 16:20 30 May 06

Both options are unchecked. Not sure if this would have mattered anyway as my external serial modem to the same ISP on the same computer works fine. Do you think I need to update the drivers? Thanks.

Simsy 16:25 30 May 06

It may be that the connection is suffering during upgrade work?

Regards,

Simsy

Stuartli 23:33 30 May 06

That would also affect voice calls.

Sparkle drivers, other than graphics cards, seem to be difficult to track down, but using the latest Intel 536EP V92 driver might be worthwhile.

You can download it from here:

click here

Works OK for a similar Safecom dialup modem I use occasionally.

mungo_one 18:51 31 May 06

I have managed to fix the problem. Rather than using the driver on the CD, I let WinXP find the modem and then install the generic Intel 536EP V92 driver. This seems to have cured the problem. Thanks for the advice given though.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…