dial up and modem help

TheNam3less 15:40 23 Apr 06

hi everyone

everytime i dial up to my connection i could hear the dialling noise that you usually hear when using dial up but just recently i havent been hearing the usual dial noise just wondering maybes if my internal modem is going bust.

johnnyrocker 15:43 23 Apr 06

i believe that somewhere (from memory) in the properties there is a setting for speaker or similar and maybe this setting has changed.

johnny.

DieSse 15:45 23 Apr 06

Some modems, especially newer ones, work via the system loudspeakers - so if you have them turned down, you won't hear the dialling with this type of modem.

TheNam3less 15:59 23 Apr 06

speakers are turned up and have checked all the sounds and etc... its just confusing thats all one minute i can hear the dial tone next minute it suddenly stops

Stuartli 16:47 23 Apr 06

See:

click here

Some modems have an internal speaker.

I always used to be able to tell from the "screech" if the modem was dialling up correctly.

mgmcc 17:22 23 Apr 06

A word of warning - some ROGUE DIALLERS, the ones that reconnect you to a premium rate or international number, disable the sound to make you unaware that the connection is being redialled.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…