Dial Up Modem connecton problem

londonknights 19:46 13 Sep 05

Hello
My childrens PC runs windows ME it has an internal dial up modem. When I try to connect to the internet I hear the modem "click" but am told by the connection program that there is no Dial Tone, which is correct. I have uninstalled and reinstalled all the drivers, no luck, I moved the modem to another pc slot but still no luck the program tries to connect but i get the same message.....no dial tone. I have tried another modem with the same results...can anyone please help me.
Thanks

Diodorus Siculus 19:51 13 Sep 05

Have you checked the cable?

Some have 4 pins, others two.

A 4 pin cable will work in a two pin modem but not vice versa.

jack 19:59 13 Sep 05

Diodorus comment is a fair one, but has this always been the case or is it a new event- that is was it OK once upon a time?
Hasanything changed recently - anti virus software for example?

Gongoozler 20:00 13 Sep 05

Have you tried plugging a telephone into the same socket to see if there is a normal dial tone?

londonknights 22:59 13 Sep 05

Thanks for your replies, they are appreciated. The cable is fine the telephone socket works and no new virus or firewall software has been added, only updated. Its a strange one!! I thank you all again and will now close this thread

Giggle n' Bits 00:31 14 Sep 05

personally I

Giggle n' Bits 00:34 14 Sep 05

Networking from Windows Set-up then reboot and reinstall the TCP/IP & Dial up adapter again. Sounds like your Comm Port is being blocked by something.

In the past I have seen McAfee block for some odd reason the My Computer and Device Manager. If you run McAfee also, check your blocked list.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…