Dial up Modem

Den R 15:17 02 Jan 05

I’m having problems in configuring a dial-up modem with XP. The modem makes all the necessary dialling noises and I’m told the device is working satisfactory, but it won’t connect to the internet When I go into Network Connections and right click the connection, “Status” is greyed out. Any ideas anyone.

whybe 16:29 02 Jan 05

Have you checked that all your ISP's settings are correct in Internet Explorer, via Tools, Internet Options, especially the General Tab and the Connections Tab?

pj123 16:54 02 Jan 05

This is how I test a modem.

Go to Make New Connection. Use the number 08451121212. Use anything you like for the ID and anything you like for the password. If you get a connection then the modem is working so you must have a wrong setting for your ISP.

Den R 17:18 02 Jan 05

pj123
Thanks for the info. I'll try it tomorrow, as the offending PC is not at this location.

pj123 17:24 02 Jan 05

Forgot to say. It will ask you for a name. Call it Test. That way you can keep it on your computer and check it whenever you want.

Den R 17:25 02 Jan 05

whybe
I've checked and triple checked, but obviously I've missed something. I downloaded "Configuring for Dial-up" and done all the things as suggested. I'm now on a Mission!!!!!!!!!!

Stuartli 17:37 02 Jan 05

Just a hunch. The modem's configuration is set for the UK?

Some US based modem products have the States as default.

Otherwise try click here

anchor 17:45 02 Jan 05

Another test one you can try is uk2.

(no pre-registration needed).

telephone: 08456653000

user name: uk2

password: uk2

(lower case). Just tried it again, and all working OK.

You could also double check the modem is installed and working OK:- Open control panel, phone & modem options, select modems, click on the modem, select properties, select diagnostics, click on query modem, you should get a display of responses.

woodchip 17:55 02 Jan 05

I would suggest you remove the ISP connection in Control Panel\Networks and then make sure you modem is installed correctly by double click modem in control panel\Modem tab\Properties\ Diagnostics\Query Modem to see what response you get

woodchip 17:58 02 Jan 05

PS
Resetup Modem if all OK above using Manual Mode if you have all the settings incuding Phone Number and Password

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…