Dial up internet problems

markcellis 14:11 22 Jun 05

Hello. I’m a newby and am looking for some ideas as to how to improve the on-line performance of our “heritage” Time Computers PC. We stay on line for maximum of 5 mins on our dial-up service and then the connection fails and we have to re-dial. Connection speeds are pretty slow too, usually around the 26Mbps mark, 33Mbps if we’re lucky. A while back I regularly got 44-46 Mbps. Have tried changing the modem for an external USB modem, upgrading the RAM (from 128 to 256), and changing ISP but problems persist. The OS is Win 98 SE and Norton Internet Security 2005 is installed. Currently using Aardvaak as an ISP. Any suggestions for free or cheap things to try would be welcome. Thanks All.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:03 22 Jun 05

Ditch Norton

try Avast4 click here
or AVG antivirus click here

with ZoneAlarm click here as the firewall.

Norton hogs alot of resources.

Modem tweaks click here click here

woodchip 17:12 22 Jun 05

Go to Control Panel\Internet Options\Connection you will have to check in there as I am BB it will be under setting untick the box about turning of if not in use as it will turn of if you are reading for some time. also in your Mail program set it to check for mail every Minute as it's like pinging the server to keep the connection live

Graham ® 17:14 22 Jun 05

The computer may be configured to turn off the modem to save power. In Device Manager, find the modem. Select Action, Properties, Power Management.

pj123 17:44 22 Jun 05

The biggest problem here is Norton which is hogging all your resources. Do what Fruit Bat /\0/\ says and get rid of it and then continue with the other recommendations.

markcellis 09:12 24 Jun 05

Thanks all for some good advice. Have uninstalled Norton Internet Security 2005 and installed AVG and ZoneAlarm as suggested by Fruit Bat /\0/\ and endorsed by pj123. Seemingly an instant fix. We now have a reliable internet connection at speeds of around 46kMbps so mission accomplished! Also changed Outlook to check for mail every minute as per Woodchip's suggestion.

Before I close off this thread, do any of you have a recommendation for a good freeware spam filter?

Thanks guys!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date and features: Google Allo is…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…