dial-up internet connection sharing

jon_nic 10:40 13 Sep 05

I have two computers, both running xp pro and have just installed a 10/100 LAN to connect the two together. On one of the computers I have a dial-up modem for connecting to the internet. I want to be able to use this modem from the other computer that is connected via the LAN, but I don’t want the modem to auto dial ( I want to be able to connect manually from the computer that doesn’t have the modem) is this possible.

I have run internet connection sharing wizard on both computers and am sharing internet connection but I don’t see the connection from the other computer. On the dial-up modem, I have disabled dial on demand.

How can I get the other computer to be able to connect/disconnect to my dial up manually across the LAN?

woodchip 11:12 13 Sep 05

I think you may have to setup a Dial-Up on the other Computer. With your phone number and Password. In Control Panel Networking

woodchip 11:13 13 Sep 05

PS check Device Manager it may show the modem

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:35 13 Sep 05

MAin pc - network connections - select your modem -properties -advanced tab - tick all three boxes under ICS.

Slave PC - internet options - connections tab (you do not need to see anything in the Dialup settings box on this PC) click Lan settings and tick box marked Automatically detect settings.

OK all that now when you open IE the Lan should connect via the modem on the main PC.

jon_nic 11:40 13 Sep 05

but i do not want the main pc to auto connect, I want the slave pc to have control of the connect/disconect of the dial-up.
if i select the "enable dial on demand" the modem will auto dial.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:04 13 Sep 05

select - always dial my default

keith-236785 13:46 13 Sep 05

you could use real VNC to control the main pc from the client pc, that would control the modem and give you the chance to connect/disconnect remotely but i dont think thats really what you want....

it seems like you are saying you DO NOT want the client pc to be able to disconnect the main pc from the internet. in that case, just simply shutdown the Internet Explorer and this will leave the main pc connected as long as you have not got it set to disconnect when IE shuts down.

if im wrong with that theory then please try to explain a little clearer what you are wanting,

1, main pc to do

2, client pc to do

in the case of connecting AND disconnecting.

easy to set the pc to auto dial but im a little confused what exactly you mean.

jon_nic 14:59 13 Sep 05

I want the client pc to connect to the main pc (which it does via the LAN) but I want to be able to use the dial up modem which is in the main pc. However, I don’t want the client pc to auto connect to the internet without asking. I want to be able to control the internet connection from the client pc. i.e to disconnect and connect when I want.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:08 13 Sep 05

I think you're going to struggle with this

If you set main PC to "never dial" then when connected throuigh lan you would have to click connect on main PC dial up box as it appears.

The only way to stop dialers on client dialing out and trying to connect is to have a good firewall on the client and / or main PC.

keith-236785 22:58 13 Sep 05

i agree with Fruit Bat /\0/\, the idea of ICS is to share the internet with the pc that has the modem, not to control the main pc's modems behaviour. to do this you might be better installing a seperate modem in the client and running a phone line extention to it.

or as i said earlier, use Real VNC to control the main pc from the client, that way you could remotely control the dial up procedure (but thats not exactly what you are wanting)

difficult one this.

T0SH 10:16 14 Sep 05

Try RDU from here,I think it works ok on XP
click here

Cheers HC

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…