dial up /fax noise onphone when computer starts up

headhandsandfeet 23:18 13 Jan 05

I have recently had tesco broadband set up.when i start up the computer and listening on the telephone a fax type noise starts then i get a background noise which makes speech/listening difficult.This is before i have connected to the internet.As soon as i remove the modem usb connection the surface noise disappears and reappears when i replace.
I have had replacement thomson speedtouch modem and filters and this has not made any difference.I have disabled the modem inside the computer.I am able to surf and talk at same time but is very noisy.
Any suggestions?

hugh-265156 01:09 14 Jan 05

do you have filters on every phone box in the house?

do you use extension leads? try plugging in the extension to the main box and put the filter on the end that goes to the usb modem maybe.

Djohn 01:51 14 Jan 05

plus the best way to check is with just the one phone and nothing else except the modem connected, you can then add any other phones/faxes Sky TV as required.

Plug your ADSL microfilter into the main phone socket in the house. Plug phone into the phone outlet of the filter then your modem lead into the ADSL outlet of the microfilter. If there are no line faults then this should give you a perfect reception on the phone and on your Broadband connection.

You can now start to add other phones to any extensions in the house but remember that each phone including Sky TV will need to run through a filter.

headhandsandfeet 00:26 15 Jan 05

Hi,thanks for the response.I tried as suggested-I think I have tried every permutation of filters and sockets(3 apart from main socket) possible- but I am still getting the phone noise.Better luck in the morning.For information there is only one cordless telephone connection in the house with three other handsets,no fax and no sky connection.Cheers.

VCR97 20:23 15 Jan 05

I can't swear to it but I think that I saw in an old thread something about cordless phones causing problems. Perhaps someone remembers this? It wouldn't surprise me: a cordless phone handset is simply a low-power radio transmitter/receiver as is the base unit. Try switching it off.

Graham ® 20:32 15 Jan 05

DECT phones are suspected of causing such problems. Unplug from line and power.

headhandsandfeet 22:06 15 Jan 05

Hello again,
Tried an ordinary plug in phone but same fax type noise starting up and swishing noise in background as soon as I put modem usb into computer.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…