Dial up disconnect

Bobby237 18:18 05 Dec 04

I'm pretty sure the answer is no, but I'll ask anyway. I'm have a dial up internet connection which automatically disconnects every 2 hours. Is there any way at all to disable this or to increase the time? If not, can anyone recommend a dial up ISP that doesnt have this feature and how much the monthly fee is?
Thanks

VCR97 18:49 05 Dec 04

Not sure about this but it's worth a look. Internet Options>Connections>Settings (ignore misleading proxy comment)>Dial-up Settings/ Advanced. If the boxes are ticked try clearing them.

interzone55 19:01 05 Dec 04

The disconnection is done at the ISP's end, so from your point of view the answer is *no* you can't stop the disconnects.

As for an ISP that doesn't kick you off every 2 hours, the only one I'm aware of is AOL

woodchip 19:18 05 Dec 04

One way of keeping it alive that may work, is set your E-Mail to check regular for mail. You can set the ping

VCR97 20:25 05 Dec 04

My ISP is Wanadoo/Freeserve. I was on pay-as-you-go dial-up until recently and I was never kicked off after two hours. Perhaps it only applies to monthly contracts where they can see their profits reducing?

Buchan 35 23:23 05 Dec 04

Bobby237,

I`ve got OneTel and the latest package they are putting out for (present) BT customers is as follows: Free anytime phonecalls in the UK plus anytime dial up connection to internet for £19.90 a month. If you want Broadband it`s £29.99. Also if you sign up on the `net you get a £20 credit. click here

Bobby237 21:56 08 Dec 04

Thanks for all the messages. Will probably need to move up to broadband anyway soon!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…