Dial up connecton starts up by itself

Charlie 19:54 24 Sep 03

When starting programs that run from a CD the Dial Up connection box appears without being prompted.The computer has started freezing as well since this fault started. I run Windows 98

MichelleC 19:57 24 Sep 03

Try: tools/internet options/connections, and check 'never dial a connections'.

Kitz E Kat 08:43 25 Sep 03

Im not sure if you check 'never dial a connection'will solve your problem, i could be wriong but that setting is for ADSL and not for a dial up connection..you could try it and see..

Did you scan for a virus? if not, update your virus definitions and do a full scan....

Download Spybot click here, this will check for spyware etc, which can sometimes try to dial out..

You could try Ctrl+ALT+DEL and check the porcesses that running, you can list these and do a Google on each and see what it is, one of these is DODGY!!! for sure, but do this last as it is slow !!!!

Kitz E Kat

Bodi 09:57 25 Sep 03

Funnily enough I had exactly the same problem (Win98)- haven't the foggiest idea why, but it was extremely annoying.

Reinstalling my internet connection seemed to resolve the problem. Again I don't know why.

brittas 10:30 25 Sep 03

You probably have a trojan on your machine or a dialer. Download either "spybot" or "adaware" and run them. You will probably find it is a dialer !!! Go here (sorry not good at including links)click here

Gee Tee 20:30 25 Sep 03

i have just found it is the firewall i
have just installed, kerio 2.1.5 i am
running 98SE and i unticked programs
on startup till i found the culprit.
i have run spybot and adaware they found

Peverelli 00:28 26 Sep 03

What did you do to enable you to resolve the problem?

Charlie 09:26 27 Sep 03

I checked never dial a connection in
tools/internet options/connections. I ran the program without any trouble a few times and then had to uncheck the box to get back onto the net. I left the box unchecked and tried the progam and it ran ok. The computer appears to be running a lot better now, thanks to all who gave help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…