DIAL UP CONNECTION Nuisance - Outlook Express 6

cosh 00:02 02 Jul 04

I have NORTON INTERNET SECUTITY 2003 installed and Outlok Express 6 on my PC running Windows 98 SE. On boot up I keep getting the DIAL UP CONNECTION window appearing and the NIS does not load. After about a dozens attempts to close the DIAL UP window I'll succed and then the NIS will load and all will be ok for a while. But the dial up connection may ocurr again at random times. Anybody else had and cured the problem?

kev.Ifty 00:10 02 Jul 04

Yes you have a program which is trying to contact the internet on start up
I think NIS is usually the last prog to appear on the task bar

TRY: START:RUN, type msconfig, select start and see what programs start up when you start your computer.

hope this helps

Cheers Kev

johnnyrocker 00:16 02 Jul 04

if you are not on broadband be very carefull as suggested you may have a rogue dialler at more than premium rate.

GRFT 07:13 02 Jul 04

In Control Panel, select Internet Properties/Connections/ and make sure "Never dial a connection" is selected.

Stuartli 10:37 02 Jul 04

Might be one of your other programs configured to automatically check for updates trying to do so.

But the "dialler" point made by johnnyrocker is worth taking time out to run a virus and spyware check.

cosh 23:10 26 Oct 04

I cancelled all my start up items in msconfig and still I got the dial up connection problem. The only way I have stopped it appearing is to select "never dial a connection" in Internet Options. However I then cannot open my Internet History pages whilst off-line. I have to reselct " always dial my default connection". I guess it must be a problem within IE 6.

Thank you all for your ideas.

woodchip 23:14 26 Oct 04

To repair IE6 go to Control Panel\Add Remove, Double Click on Microsoft Internet Explorer and choose repair

smokingbeagle 00:12 27 Oct 04

Don't use Norton anymore

sicknote 00:24 27 Oct 04
  cosh 22:04 17 Nov 04

I have now loaded all the updates to win98SE from the m/soft web site and the problem immediately went away.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…