Dial-up connection + huge downloads = headache...

NinkyRudes 11:12 24 Mar 05

Unlike most of the lucky users of this site, I live (quite literally) on a hill in the middle of nowhere, with no chance of getting access to broadband in the foreseeable future. So, armed with my 56k modem, and a Tiscali connection, I tried to download a patch for Far Cry (a game so buggy on release that FOUR unsuccesful patches were released!).

Normally I use FreshDownload to manage larger downloads overnight, as it offers a resume function (perfect, I thought, for huge files). However, it does not seem to matter where I get the patch from, the resume function always fails at about 50Mb ito the download (when the line is interrupted or something). Normally I would just ask a friend with broadband to download for me, but I plan to get several large (>50Mb) downloads, and need to solve this problem.

Does anyone know of a download manager that I can rely on for these larger files? Alternatively, a website that offers to put large download files on CD for you (at a sensible price, i.e. £10)?

Any help/ideas/suggestions/success stories would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Yoda Knight 11:18 24 Mar 05

I'll do it for you for a tenner !

Yoda Knight 11:20 24 Mar 05

The price of the cd and postage will do

TomJerry 11:24 24 Mar 05

but something like flashget may be better for you on the top of hill solution click here

Stuartli 11:25 24 Mar 05

Which Tiscali service are you on?

I use Tiscali's DayTime Plus service (8am to 6pm daily) and normally, if the connection goes down at the two hour cut-off point or for some other reason, there's an automatic redial; FreshDownload would then resume the download if in use.

The auto redial applies to both IE and Firefox, which I now have as my browser.

dan11 11:26 24 Mar 05

:)))

GANDALF <|:-)> 11:27 24 Mar 05

I'll download and post it to you for naff all........although I would appreciate it if you would buy one copy of 'The Big Issue' at some time.

G

TomJerry 11:48 24 Mar 05

give flashget a try, it is trouble to ask other people for every big download

NinkyRudes 11:48 24 Mar 05

Thanks to Gandalf & Yoda Knight for their kind offers, that is selfless (albeit a few seconds work for you broadband demons!). However, I'll give Flashget a go (thanx TomJerry).

Stuartli - my mistake, the PC I am using (we've got several!) is actually on Tesco.net Anytime, but is set to redial automatically if disconnected (which it does). In theory, a download manager should then resume, but for some reason, it was saying "RESUME SUPPORTED" on attempt #1, then "RESUME NOT SUPPORTED" on the 2nd attempt, so when the third attempt began, it started from scratch!

Still, I'll see if Flashget makes it, then I'll mark the post as resolved in the next 72 hours if I'm successful. If not, we'll speak in a few days!

Thanks for all your help so promptly after the original post!

P.S. Ironically, the game was bundled with my graphics card (PNY 6600 GT 256Mb), to 'show-off' its capabilities. It's just a shame that without a 75Mb download there are huge expanses of missing textures & serious graphical glitches! At least when it does work it LOOKS AMAZING @ hi-res. But I digress - this isn't a gaming forum!

rubella 12:13 24 Mar 05

I believe LeechGet is superior to Flashget, although the free one is limited to ten simultaneous downloads. No nag screens and it will not attempt to dial home. It can also be configured to work with Firefox.

rubella 12:24 24 Mar 05

"Conclusion: And the winner is ... LeechGet, followed by Download Express. Both are easy to very easy to use, have a nice looking (but not too crowded) user interface, are spyware-clean and free for personal use."

Patrick Kolla [bringer of Spybot-S&D]

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…