Dial-up connection difficulties with NTL

grangefair 09:37 07 Sep 05

I use both NTL Freedom and Wanadoo (Freeserve) and I have both IE and Opera on my PC as browsers. I have no problem with either IE or Opera when I dial up with Wanadoo, but am not able to use either of them via NTL. My modem seems to connect ok with NTL, but once connected I cannot get to the URLs I want to. NTL will however check my email account through Outlook without any problem. Has anyone any ideas what I might do to rectify this? Needless to say, I have spent a small fortune speaking to the NTL technical help people but so far to no avail.

mole44 09:44 07 Sep 05

suggest you go onto broadband i`ve got it its great.ask to go on 3 for £30 like me,brilliant value.3 for £30=phone/base digitalpack/1meg broadband,soon to be upgraded for free to 10 megs.

BT 09:25 08 Sep 05

NTL have recently made some changes to their system. Check the following on your computer.

In IE goto Tools> Internet Options> Connections> Settings and check that there are NO numbers in the Proxy settings boxes. If there are delete them and Uncheck the Use Proxy Server box. Click Apply and hopefully this will solve the problem.

woodchip 09:32 08 Sep 05

I am on NTL Freedom 512kb BB at £24.99 a month Free Nationanal and Local 01 & 02 numbers anytime 24/7

No download limits

grangefair 16:24 08 Sep 05

Thank you for that BT (surely not THE BT?). I disabled the Proxy box and - hey presto - not only has IE started to function correctly, but so has Opera. Neither have worked via NTL for over a week so it's good to have them back. All has been well for 30 minutes or so, but obviously I shall try again later.

Can you explain what difference the Proxy dialing makes please? I have had this problem on and off over the past 3 years or so, and I seem to remember it was NTL's technical people who suggested some time ago I tick the Proxy box. I live in rural North Yorkshire and am hoping my local exchange will be providing broadband by the end of this year.

BT 08:32 09 Sep 05

I'm pleased to have solved your problem. Its a problem that several other people have had including myself,and the solution has worked in every case. As you say it all goes back to some numbers that NTL themselves supplied to me some time ago when I was having problems accessing a particular website. It solved the problem at the time but obviously the recent changes that they have made seem to have obviated the need for the Proxy Server numbers. The intricacies of Proxy servers etc. make my brain hurt so I try not to worry about them as long as they work!!

Its not just the rural areas such as yours that suffer from NTL's patchy service. I live in SE London not 3 miles from their main local centre and neither Digital TV or Broadband is available in my area, despite the fact that the website says it is, and apparently will not be in the forseeable future. I have recently taken early retirement and I will shortly be moving to Norwich - not quite the end of the world but you can see it from there - where both Digital and Broadband IS available.

The 'BT' thing. Its a long story but its been my nickname since I was about 12,long before the GPO hijacked it!!

woodchip 12:47 09 Sep 05

Proxy Server So you can surf the net without being traced

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac