Dial up connection box

loopyloo 16:26 09 Jul 03

Everytime my computer is switched on or rebooted the dial up connection box comes up and automatically dials the internet. I only want it to automatically dialup when opening Outlook Express and when launching internet explorer, please can someone help.

BurrWalnut 16:44 09 Jul 03

A program in either the StartUp Folder (Start, Programs, StartUp) or Msconfig StartUp Tab (even Windows Update) is possibly looking for updates/new versions.

Have a look at all of your start up programs (shown above) via their Tools, Options, Preferences (or similar wording) for frequency of accessing the internet.

Gaz 25 17:08 09 Jul 03

Could even be spyware:

click here

and

click here

Gaz 25 17:08 09 Jul 03

Or Norton AV.

Belatucadrus 17:37 09 Jul 03

Or a firewall, Kerio and zonealarm have both been known to cause this. Look at the settings on your programs and disable the ones that say automatic update or something similar.

velodrome 20:05 13 Jul 03

loopyloo

I had the same problem in windows 98SE. Try this.Double click on task scheduler box in the system tray.In the scheduled tasks window click on "symantec net detect". Then click on settings, and make sure the "delete the task if it is not scheduled to run again" box is the only one ticked." click on the schedule tab and make sure the box says "task not scheduled". Hopefully, this should do the trick.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…