Dial up connection box

loopyloo 15:46 30 Jul 03

Please help.
I have always had my internet connection set as "always dial my default connection". This worked fine with outlook express as well upuntil a few weeks ago. Now all of a sudden when I switch on the machine it dials automatically with the dial up connection box coming up. Also if I disconect from the internet the dial up box comes up and starts dialing automatically. If I change the setting to" never dial a connection" the dial up box will come up in outlook express but not when I open explorer. I have looked on the helpline advice and looked in the startup but cannot find anything that is starting it up automatically.

hugh-265156 16:29 30 Jul 03

this might help click here

loopyloo 19:22 30 Jul 03

Thank you huggyg71 for your response. I am using Windows XP and have gone through the information provided and still it happens. Any other suggestions.

uskfisherman 19:34 30 Jul 03

Hello loopyloo. I have experienced similar problems on XP with NTL. I evenually cured it (I hope) by deleting both outlook express and ntl dial up connection, then reinstalling both. You may have tried this, but like you I did concentrate on altering my configuration to no avail. Good luck

spikeychris 19:36 30 Jul 03

You say you have checked the start up folder..have another look.

Have you checked the startup folder?
To remove Dial-up Networking from the Start Menu:
1. Go to Windows Explorer.

2. Click on the C drive on the left side of the screen to show the folders on your hard drive.

3. Double-click on the Windows folder. This should show you the contents of that folder.

4. In the Windows folder, look for a folder called Start Menu and double-click it.

5. In the Start Menu folder, look for a folder called Programs and double-click it.

6. In the Programs folder, look for a folder called Startup and double-click it.

7. Dial-up Networking should be in this Startup folder. Just delete it.

Have you got Zone alarm installed?

Is there anything in msconfig startup tab? do you have a lexmark printer installed.

C

loopyloo 16:59 31 Jul 03

I have deleted my intenet connection and outlook express, still the same problem. Spikeychris gave me some information to try looking in the start menu folder in windows and deleting dial-up networking. I have gone through windows folder and I can not find anywhere the startup folder. PLease can you help me, this is driving me mad.

spikeychris 20:15 31 Jul 03

Disable everything in msconfig startup. Enable them one by one to see what is causing this to happen.

Start run and type msconfig, theres a startup tab, hit it. Theres a disable all option hit that as well. Restart and see what happens.

Chris

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…