Dial Up Connection

capnsofa 21:45 09 Dec 03

My Computer System is Windows 98 ; I have Internet Explorer and Outlook Express 6.
Sometimes, when I start up my computer, the Dial Up Connection appears and puts me through to the e-mail in-box. If I try to close it, everything freezes ; I find that the only way to get out of this is to try 'Shut Down' from the 'Start' button, which eventually brings up a screen and from which I can press 'Cancel' and return to the original desk top. If I then start Internet Explorer, I am connected without any trouble !
Any suggestions - preferably not too technical - I'm quite new to this !!!!!

LeadingMNMs 22:09 09 Dec 03

Look in the Programs menu for a folder called Start up and see if OE or anything that should appear in there that would connect to the internet. Also run a virus check just to be on the safe side.

If your having trouble starting up then maybe you should try starting up without Networking.

plsndrs3 23:20 09 Dec 03

I notice tht you have not said that you were trying to log on via your ISP> Have you checked for so called spyware that could be trying to call home?

Ad aware click here
Spybot S&D click here

Stuartli 09:04 10 Dec 03

You may have configured OE to check for messages on a regular basis from Tools>Options>General tab.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…